cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup To Disk

Mikhail_K
Level 3
I seem to be a bit out of my depth trying to set up a backup job to an external hard drive. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to do what I want to do.

What we would like is to have a backup run every night to an external hard drive (e:\). We would like one file created per backup and that file to be kept in tact for 1 week and then have the files then overwritten 1 by 1 the following week. So for example, we start the process on monday, it would create a file for mondays backup, then on tuesday it would create a new file, wednesday a new file and so on until sunday. Then after that it would go back and overwrite monday's file, then tuesdays and on like like that every week. I've tried setting it up by creating a backup-to-disk folder, but i'm missing something since it keep overwriting the same file over and over, without automatically creating a new one. Do I have to setup separate backup to disk folders or create virual media manually somehow? Can someone please walk me through how I would setup a backup like the one outlined above? Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

In this case, create 7 different Backup to Disk folders namely, Sunday Monday Tuesday etc...Then use the Backup to disk folders for the corresponding days. And use the option 'overwrite media' in the Backup Job Properties.

Please write to us if you have further queries.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
business days, this post would be marked "assumed
answered" and would be moved to "answered
questions"pool.

Mikhail_K
Level 3
Would that mean I have to setup 7 separate backup jobs (i.e. one for each day) and point them to each backup to disk folder. If not, can you elaborate more on how to setup the backup job?

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Seven separate backup jobs will have to be created.

You can either create seven backup to disk folders or the settings of the backup to disk folder can be modified.

"Devices" >"Backup to Disk folder" > "Properties".

The maximum size for Backup to Disk files should correspond to the backup size.

Set the Media Set properties of the target media set ("Media" > "Media Set" > "Properties") so that the .bkf file created on Monday will be overwritable on the next Monday.

With the above option only one job will have to be created and the desired result can be achieved by correctly configuring the Media Set properties.

Hope any of the methods proves to be useful.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.