cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup VMware snapshot on a tape drive via backup exec 2010

ash777
Level 2

Hi everyone,

I need to know where I can find some information regarding backing up vmware snapshots on a tape drive (tandberg storage library T24) via backup exec 2010 r3 version. 

We are also using VMWare Virtual Infrstructure agent. I have tried to search this information, but so far didn't find any proper instructions or solution. Could anyone help me here and tell me where I can find a proper guideline/solution for this? 

I would appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Ash  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

When BackupExec is using the Virtual Agent for VMWare, it's initiating a snapshot from vCenter, and that snap is mounted by BackupExec and moved to your eventual target location (e.g disk/tape)

All manual scripting taken care of.  :)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

I would first read the chapter on VMWare in the Administrator Guide:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC2211

And then use the Product Landing Page for VMWare at our Knowledge Base to search for your specific concern:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC3885

Regards,

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are using Backup Exec to do the backup of a VM using the AVVI agent there is no need to generate the snapshot manually. You should be able to restore the server from the backup that you take using the Backup Exec.

For more information you can refer the documents as above suggested by Carlos

ash777
Level 2

Thanks Carlos for your quick response. I will check and let you know if this helped me out.

Ash

teiva-boy
Level 6

When BackupExec is using the Virtual Agent for VMWare, it's initiating a snapshot from vCenter, and that snap is mounted by BackupExec and moved to your eventual target location (e.g disk/tape)

All manual scripting taken care of.  :)