cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup completed with exceptions due to nonexistent file

Julian1
Level 2

I have a backup that is currently completing with exceptions consistently on the System state portion of my server.  The warning is as follows:

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\inf\oem28.inf is not present on the snapshot.

When I look at the c:\windows\inf folder, I see there is no such file.  Files oem27.inf and oem29.inf are there, but oem28.inf is not.  Why is backup exec attempting to backup this nonexistent file?  If I exclude it from the selection list, what are the implications of doing so?

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you do a search for it in Windows Explorer you'll see it isn't present.

You can either create a "dummy" file with the same name and extension in the same location, or simply exclude it.

Some application hasn't uninstalled correctly, and BE still thinks it is present on your system.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry Craig, small correction File Exclusions do not apply to System State backups so an exclusion won't fix the problem.

For the OP's problem, your other option is correct though - creating a dummy file is the usual workaround to this issue which is caused because another application has registered something into the Operating System so that Backup Exec believes it should be part of the System State. Then that item has been removed without unregistering.

As such the offical answer is to identify the vendor that created the registration and ask them how to unregister it - however where the file name is generic as that in this post (oemNN.inf) then you can't identify a vendor and the only option is to create a dummy file with same name and path as the error message.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...thanks very much for the clarification Colin! cool