cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup completes, but no files backed up

Eric_Harrison
Level 3
Environment: Windows Server 2000 with Service Pack 4, BackupExec 10d, with the first service pack, HP Ultrium tape drive.

The tape drive is new, and has been tested using the HP utilities. BackupExec sees the tape drive. BackupExec was an in place upgrade of version 8. There was a broken tape drive in the machine which has been removed, and the drive entry has been removed from the BackupExec devices tab.

I have a backup configured (in "copy" mode so it will get the files no matter what) that should back up about 70k bytes of data. When I run the backup in "test" mode, it indicates that it would back up that much data. However, when I run the backup, it only takes a split second and nothing is backed up. When I look at the backup report, it shows 0 files backed up, 0 files locked, 0 errors.

I've compared the configuration to another client's and I see nothing blatently wrong. I'm completely stumped.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks! - Eric.
11 REPLIES 11

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Create a Backup-to-disk device and re-try the job to disk for sanity purposes.

Also, ensure 'Verify after backup completes' is checked in the job properties.

Eric_Harrison
Level 3
Doing a backup to disk was a good suggestion - unfortunately, it behaved the exact same way.

Any other ideas?

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Well, now you know you're not crazy (and it's not a tape drive issue)

What is the file or files you are trying to backup? Is it part of the \WINNT directory by any chance? If so, many of the files especially \system32 files are excluded be default, and are backed up via the System State backup instead.

Eric_Harrison
Level 3
For test purposes, I'm using c:\inetpub\wwwroot, but I've also tried backing up the entire drive as well as backing up contents from another server.

The results remain the same. :(

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Ouch!

I would recommend you take a step backwards, and try NTBackup to a disk file and verify that it works.

When you have tried various things, are you modifying an existing backup job/policy or are you creating seperate jobs? -would recommend creating a new selection list and job .

Eric_Harrison
Level 3
Thanks for the continuing suggestions.

I tried an NT Backup to disk file and it worked properly.

I create a brand new job, with a new selection list, and it still didn't back anything up.

Do you think uninstalling and reinstalling BackupExec would be a worthwhile experiment?

- Eric.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Eric,

Try repairing backup Exec on media server :

Repairing Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253199.htm

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Eric_Harrison
Level 3
We repaired it and the problem remains. :(

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
...just to clarify, the backup of no files occurs on all jobs you have tried, there are no error messages, the Test Runs seem to work fine, and this has occured ever since going to version 10.

Can you send a complete job log?

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
Have you tried doing a quick erase on your tape to make sure that BE is happy with it? There is an option under device and media that will terminate the job, if you are appending and BE is not happy with the media. I don't know if you are using that option or not, just a shot.

Eric_Harrison
Level 3
After trying everything, we uninstalled BackupExec and then reinstalled it. Believe it or not, everything worked perfectly after doing that.

Go figure.

Thanks everyone for all your help! - Eric.