cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 11d small business and remote SQL agent

Alex_Whittaker
Level 3
I have BE 11d and will be needing to backup a new SQL server i have purchaced the SQL agent but it will not allow me to install it on the server.  any ideas??  what will i use to backup sql on the second server running windows server 2003 enterprise R2 and SQL 2005 standard
13 REPLIES 13

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Alex.

The SQL agent is just an activation on the media server.  You do this by installing the license key.
Are you having a problem installing the Remote Agent on the remote server? And if so, what are the errors you are getting?

Patty

Alex_Whittaker
Level 3
When i put the sql agent key in to the sbs client it says that you cannot install this on an SBS server.  do i have to install this on the second server manually

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Alex,

That is correct.

Backup Exec for SBS is not designed to backup anything but itself.

To have a Backup Exec Media Server that will protect other servers with Exchange or SQL on them you would need Backup Exec For Windows Systems. 

Patty

Alex_Whittaker
Level 3
so how do i backup the remote server is this a case of you can't with the small business package

Alex_Whittaker
Level 3
the SQL agent is to back up a SQL database on a second server and not on the main server i have purchached the sbs premium version of 11d.  what will i use to backup the second server???

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Alex,

My suggestion is to either purchase Backup Exec for Windows Systems to have the ability to backup other servers and applications in your environment.

Or to have SQL run the backups and Backup Exec to backup the flat file bak files that SQL creates.

Patty

Alex_Whittaker
Level 3
HI patty is there an upgrade path for the sbs product to full product with agents??

Alex_Whittaker
Level 3
just found this on the web surely this answers everything

so why can i not install it on the server

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
SBS edition is to only protect the SBS server.
The SQL agent is only for the SQL server on the Media Server and that is included in the main license. 

Frederic_Ng
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I am having the same problem. We are not talking about the SQL agent bundled with BackupExec for SBS Premium.
We bought a separate SQL agent to backup SQL data on a remote server.

If you take a look at the brochure for Backup Exec for SBS (see link below), it is mentioned on page 5 that SQL agents can be purchased to backup remote SQL servers. But the license key for the SQL agent is not accepted when we try to install the agent.
http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/fact_sheets/ent-datasheet_bewsbs_11d_03-2007.en-us.pdf

Has a solution been found to this problem?

Alex_Whittaker
Level 3
i ended up calling symantecs tech support regarding this.  after a battle because we dident purchace support they said that i can use the sbs SQL lic on the remote server.  i have done this and it is working.  i just wasted the cost of a sql license.  i also got the lic details from the synamtec website.  they should make thinkg alot clearer

Frederic_Ng
Level 2
Partner Accredited
How did you use the SBS SQL license on the remote server? Did you have to install the agent?

I tried to backup SQL data on the remote server, and it seems like the job was successful, but when I checked the folder to restore it, the folder was empty.

Alex_Whittaker
Level 3
I had also purchaced the advanced open file agent for the sql server.  i installed the AOF agent on to the sql server and the veritas picked it up.  i have done a test restore and it just worked.  Synamtec do not like to make things easy