cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2010 need a sql agent

Karen_Johnson
Level 4

I have installed backup exec 2010 on our exchange server.  it is backing up exchange fine, but it is asking me to purchase a sql agent for the backup.  the only sql piece that i see installed was part of the exchange backup, do i need to purchase a sql agent so that backup exec can backup itself (ex10\bkupexec)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No you don't. By default BE creates a dump of the DB every night. This is the bedb.bak file. You can back this up along with the Catalogs and Data folder in order to restore BE if you ever need too...I'd save the money for an SQL license and do it this way rather.

You can ignore the message if you don't have a proper SQL instance for an application running on that server.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No you don't. By default BE creates a dump of the DB every night. This is the bedb.bak file. You can back this up along with the Catalogs and Data folder in order to restore BE if you ever need too...I'd save the money for an SQL license and do it this way rather.

You can ignore the message if you don't have a proper SQL instance for an application running on that server.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Just continuing what CraigV has already explained is that you need to uncheck the EX10\BKUPEXEC resource which is the SQL instance from the Backup selection list. Backing up the BEDB.BAK file which is at the default location C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data is enough to protect the Backup Exec database.

Thanks,

-Sush...