cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2012 HP ultrium 4-scsi tape drive showing no media.

James_M_
Level 2

I've got Backup exec 2012 running on server 2k8 connected to Quantum scalar i500 with the HP ultrium 4-scsi tape drive.  I've manually loaded the drive from the Quantum but it's still showing (No media) causing my backups to fail to start.  Unfortunately I can't inventory the tape drive as the option is completely greyed out.

I've tried restarting both the quantum, the server and backup exec with no luck.

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

are there any tapes stuck in the drives?  Try running the manufacturers diagnostic tool to verify the product is working correctly.

James_M_
Level 2

Yes everything is working fine from the Quantum's interface.  Backup exec simply won't recognize that media has been loaded.

James_M_
Level 2

To note:  The library inventories correctly from backup exec and quantum, it is just the tape drive that will not allow me to re-inventory.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

BE will not and should not necessarily use a tape that a user has put into a tape drive.  BE should pick a tape according to the rules and move it from the slot to the drive when BE wants to use it.

I assume that you can see the storage slots in BE?  That is where an inventory job is launched from.  If you had a standalone drive, then your drive context menu would include inventory.  But, in a library, you inventory the slots, not the drive.

James_M_
Level 2

Larry,

Thank you for the information.  I was not aware that BE limits you from inventorying a drive that is part of a library. I can inventory the library in full however my backups do not seem to run. 

I'm having an issue where the jobs simply change to  State:Active Job Status:Active at their scheduled run time and then never proceed past 0%. You can attempt to hold the job however this doesn't seem to do anything unless you attempt it repeatedly. When it DOES go to hold and you resume the job from hold you get the green progress bar back and the timer that counts up, however nothing happens.  We allowed a relatively small job to attempt to start over the weekend with no success.

Any incite in to how to get these jobs running would be greatly appreciated.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In the Windows Device Manager, check that the tape library is listed as an Unknown Medium Changer.  If it has a Quantum driver, change it using procedure in the document below

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...

Also, check that the tape drive as a Symantec driver.

If the above checks out and you are still having problems, do this

1) Delete the library from BE

2) Stop the media server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the media server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

6) In BE, install the library if necessary.