cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec creates many bkf files on Exchange GRT Backup

it_mnw
Level 2

Hi,

We have a problem with the backup exec directly installed on the exchange server.

Recently our server with backup exec had a system failure. Its last job was to backup Exchange Server databases to B2D folder onto another server.

So we decided to move backup exec installation directly to Exchange server so it will backup itself to the same B2D folder.

After this task backup exec have a problem with Exchange databases when it is backing up with GRT enabled. It creates IMG folder and copy there the database, and after that it only creates 2kb bkf files (one every ~30 seconds so after a day there is thousands of them). The job is not complete even after 3 days, we didn't wait longer (30k of 2kb bkf files already and status: loading media ) 

All of the bkf files are overwritable scratch media.

Please help!

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec should create one 2kb bkf file for every IMG folder that is created. These small bkf files are used as header files during the backup operation and then are moved to scratch when the job finished as they are not needed for restore operations.

BE should not create lots of them per job - which means that something is affecting the usual  process . Do you know if the disk came close to filling up whilst the job was running as I am not sure what might happen if there is not enough space for the IMG to backup fully as this would cause a media insert request but might possibly create more bkf files and put you into a loop.

it_mnw
Level 2

Hi

Thank you for your answer.

Disk have 3TB of free space so it's shouldn’t be a problem.

I've done some tests.

First of all I’ve made four jobs instead of one. Now it's one job per database. Of course only one job is running at the time. 

With one database backup is being done without any problems, 5 times from Friday. With others problem is the same as above. Backup exec creates IMG folder, job is running normally, it looks like database is backed up, but job is still running. Job status is “loading media” and it creates 2kb bkf file every ~30 sec. I need to cancel this job to run the next one.

Backup without GRT option is running without any problems.

it_mnw
Level 2

i think i have a problem like this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH174164

but still no solution (backups without GRT option is not a solution)