cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs running 300 hours+ on Backup Exec 12 ver 12.0

Mick_Dundee
Level 3

Hello,

We have Backup Exec version 12 Rev. 1364 (small business server suite) running on our SBS 2003 box.

Somedays the back up runs within its nominal timeframe of circa 5 hours, the odd day I come in and find that it is still running and sometimes when I have been out of the business, I return to find its been running for 4 days!

Is this connected to our Anti-Virus? (we are running AVG - just recently installed new software)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Sorry Mick, I think that I posed this in the wrong query :(...uninstalling RAWS on the media server won't do anything.

Try the following:

1. Run a repair of the installtion using Add/Remove Programs; 

2. Run a repair of the BEDB using Add/Remove Programs.

Also check to see if this happens on a specific file, and exclude that if not needed. If it happens randomly, then maybe log a call with Symantec if you have support with them to see if they can help you resolve this.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

CraigV

Hi,

Might be...put in exclusions for the BE services, and you can reference the TN below for them (don't worry about the error code):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH74529

Also, when this queues, check for any active alerts by right-clicking the backup job and responding to them if need-be. 

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Do you see any outstanding alert asking for overwritable media or a asking you to remove media?

Mick_Dundee
Level 3

No, there are no alerts, just seems to be stuck at a certain byte count. It's been 177,955,466,059 since 8:30am this morning (its now 10.20am)

.120px_BE1.jpg

CraigV

Mmm...when I had this issue I normally restarted the beremote.exe service on the server concerned. Unfortunately it has probably gone and stalled the backup meaning you'd need to restart the BE services too.

Is Advanced Open File Option turned on for the job?

Thanks!

Mick_Dundee
Level 3

I have no idea what Advanced Open File Option is and how would I check to see if it was turned on?

Mick_Dundee
Level 3

Okay, ignore that, I found it and no its currently disabled.

CraigV

AOFO allows you to backup open files with a lock. It could be that there is a file in use, and with AOFO not enabled and selected for the backups, that BE is stalling and not failing (with a rule put in place). Do this:

1. Stop the backup (restart the BE services if need-be).

2. Open up the job, and choose to use AOFO and leave the VSS provider as Automatic.

3. Restart the backup and report back with an update.

Thanks!

Mick_Dundee
Level 3

I requested to cancel the back up about 30 mins ago, its still running, ive cancelled again and again, now it says "cancel pending" - its real slow.

CraigV

BE has stalled the backup job. Only way around this is to restart the services, and kill and associated processes from Task Manager that don't stop.

Thanks!

Mick_Dundee
Level 3

Okay, I had to stop all services and restart, then I went back in and the job was stopped and was marked as failed - so I enabled AOFO and restarted, seems to have started okay.  I suppose I need to wait 5 hours now to see if it completes!

CraigV

...it's unfortunately going to show up as Failed as it is a forced stop of the services. Will wait for the feedback...

Thanks!

Mick_Dundee
Level 3

Backup overnight proved successful wink Lets see if it continues through the week. thanks for the responses and assistance people.

Mick_Dundee
Level 3

After two successful back ups, this has now failed again last night. Even with the AOFO checked and enabled.  So, its back to square one !

CraigV

OK, uninstall the RAWS agent on that server and then reinstall it. Report back with an update.

Thanks!

Mick_Dundee
Level 3

Uninstall the RAWS? is this basically removing the software and re-installing it? I may not have the original discs or whatever it was carried on.

CraigV

Sorry Mick, I think that I posed this in the wrong query :(...uninstalling RAWS on the media server won't do anything.

Try the following:

1. Run a repair of the installtion using Add/Remove Programs; 

2. Run a repair of the BEDB using Add/Remove Programs.

Also check to see if this happens on a specific file, and exclude that if not needed. If it happens randomly, then maybe log a call with Symantec if you have support with them to see if they can help you resolve this.

Thanks!

Mick_Dundee
Level 3

I ran the repair on the software and it has backed up for 4 days on the trot now, I hope it keeps going and doesnt lapse again - but we've been here before, the bright point is that it has done 3 in a row and failed in the last few attempts, this is the first time we've had 4 straight successful back ups.