cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec database migration

kennyb
Level 5

We recently upgraded our SQL db to 2008 and sits on a new server. Our old SQL db was 2005 and is currently offline.

I am trying to move the media server db from 2005 to 2008 using the BEUtility but I am getting some error messages.

New Backup Exec Database Location

Failed to access the registry keys of selected server EHEWSS7 to get the Backup Exec version numbers.

Database BEDB already exists on server EHEWSS7\MSSQLSERVER2008, and is used by another media server.

Error: Server is not online: EHEWSS7.

Operation to change location of Backup Exec database to SQL Server instance EHEWSS-DC ended with errors.

Will this migrate cleanly from 2005 to 2008?

thanks,

Ken

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Kenny,

Try moving it as per Colin Weaver's comments on the link below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-move-backup-exec-2010-r2-sql-db-sql-2008

Thanks!

kennyb
Level 5

That solution seems like it's more for running BE2010 on the same server with SQL 2008.

We are running them on 2 different servers.

What worries me is this messags "Failed to access the registry keys of selected server EHEWSS7 to get the Backup Exec version numbers."

and

Error: Server is not online: EHEWSS7

I know the server ehewss7 (SQL 2008 server) is online and I even tried taking the BEDB offline to migrate it over but still got the error regarding the reg keys.

When I did take the db offline and try the migration, I did get this error: "Failed to stop the SQL service on:EHEWSS4."

ehewss4 is our old sql2005 server and the DB is still attached to it.

Could it be a DNS issue where it cannot resolve the name of the server?

thanks,

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...test DNS and see.

Any reason for pointing BE to a remote SQL server? The recommendation is to use the SQL Express version that ships with your version of BE.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You cannot share a SQL instance for the BEDB with multiple media servers as such we will block installation if you try to install or move Backup Exec to a SQL instance that already contains a BEDB database.

We also strongly recommend not sharing the SQL instance that Backup Exec is installed into with any important production databases it should always be in it's own instance.

As such is the SQL instance you are installing into empty of all databases?

One extra point: if setting up a remote SQL instance for the BEDB do not give the instance the name BKUPEXEC as using our default name for our locallly installed SQL Express instance has caused some issues in the past.