cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec sbs skipping files

drnacboozway_2
Level 2
i have a windows 2k3 sbs server, with backup exec 9.1 sp1 sbs edition. for some reson or another it seems to skip lots of files. here is a quick view of some file that it skipps..

The item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG\SQLAGENT.OUT in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\LOG\ERRORLOG in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SBSMONITORING\LOG\ERRORLOG in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SBSMONITORING\LOG\SQLAGENT.OUT in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT\LOG\ERRORLOG in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX00631.xml in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Logs\adamm.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Logs\namesvc.log in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\dslookup.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\dslookup.idx in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\faxofns.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\faxofns.idx in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\faxreqs.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\faxreqs.idx in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\faxtags.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\faxtags.idx in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\seqno.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\seqno.idx in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\user.dat in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\dbs\user.idx in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\logs\Fax1 in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\logs\lb in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\logs\sm in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\logs\vadmind in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\logs\vgsched in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\logs\vnetfax in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\logs\vrsched in use - skipped.
The item C:\Program Files\VSI\FaxServer\spool\logs\vxmld in use - skipped.

Im guessing the reson that it skipps the vsi program files is because i dont have OFO, but there should be no reason why the sql files are being skipped. this is the sbs version of backup exec. and that has a sql agent installed.

thanks for the help
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You are probably correct about the VSI files, but the SQL agent will give you a database backup in a separate job step. This is the "Flat file" portion of the backup, and BackupExec cannot backup these files as flat files because SQLServer is running.

You could use the Pre and Post command features to stop and start the Fax service if you want those files backed up.

drnacboozway_2
Level 2
Thanks for the reply,

The vsi fax does not matter so much to me, but the sql does. Is there any other way to backup the sql files without an offline backup (or stopping the services)

Thanks again

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Unless I'm missing something (probably) the only SQL related files missed are the error logs.
Forget about them, you can restore a system without them.

You are backing up your SQL databases using the agent, are you not (select the SQL databases frmo your selections list).

drnacboozway_2
Level 2
hmmmm.... I relize that i can forget them, and if worse comes to worse, I will do that. But this is the 1st time i see this happen backing up sql log. I keep this open for a bit longer to see if anyone may know of a way to resolve this without skipping the files.

thanks for you reply

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that while performing a file level backup of the system the SQL 2000 databases will be skipped since they are open. However, it is always recommended to perform flat file
backup of SQL 2000 server to restore the entire server in case of Disaster recovery. Refer to the following technote for more information on SQL 2000 flat file backup.

URL - http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/248649.htm

You need to Shut the SQL services down, do flat-file BU.
- Bring it back online and then start hot backups.
Any time a structural change to the DB occurrs, DB should be taken down for flat-file BU.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.