cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failure

Krishna_chandra
Level 3

I'm quite new to this tool. I saw most of the servers i have added to the backup Exec where on hold over the weekend. When i tried to unhold them, it says "Ready; No idle devices are available". What does this mean? Will this affect my backup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

"Ready; No idle devices are available". What does this mean? Will this affect my backup?

It means that BE thinks that all your devices are busy, therefore no jobs will run at the moment.

If clearing all BE alerts doesn't break the log jam, I would consider restarting the BE services or rebooting the server.  You may need to power cycle your tape drive also.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,

Are you backing up to tape or disk?   Do you see your device listed under the Storage tab?

If you are backing up to tape, are you using Symantec drivers?  If not use tapeinst.exe to install them  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73431

Krishna_chandra
Level 3

yes am backing up to tape drive. I can see tape drives listed in the storag tab. The process was going fine so far till last week. But today i see this msg on the job status. 

lmosla
Level 6

check to make sure all the alerts are responded to. What is the version of the tape drive? Verify it is in the Backup Exec 2012 HCL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175582

Krishna_chandra
Level 3

Yes we are using Dell Powervault 124T. It is compatable. Am telling you, the backups where running fine till last week. On friday i saw that most of my jobs where on hold due to unknown reasons. No when i tried to unhold them, it shows this on the status.. 

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

"Ready; No idle devices are available". What does this mean? Will this affect my backup?

It means that BE thinks that all your devices are busy, therefore no jobs will run at the moment.

If clearing all BE alerts doesn't break the log jam, I would consider restarting the BE services or rebooting the server.  You may need to power cycle your tape drive also.

Krishna_chandra
Level 3

One of the Backup is running at present on the tape drive, so will the status stay idle until that backing up is over?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If you have 1 running backup and 1 tape drive, then that explains why the other jobs are just sitting and waiting.  Once the running job finishes, then one of the queued jobs should start running.