cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup folder windows is importance or not

momaymm
Level 5

Hi All

I use BE 2012 , I 'm not sure when i setting backup selected folder need to backup ..

For windows folder of system importance or not ?  such as running endpoint  or DNS or DHCP or WEBServer

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Unless your disaster recovery strategy is always going to be a manual install and reconfigure the operating system and applications and then restore users files from backup then then Windows folder (in fact a backup of everything on Boot/System,/C: drive) should be considered as very important (as should a System State backup)

momaymm
Level 5

So incase some day windowse can't boot (loop on windows logon everytime)  

So backup file of windows folder can fix it or not ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
To solve your problem, you would probably need to recover your server. As previously advised, you would need the entire C: drive, including the Windows directory, and the system state to do the recovery

momaymm
Level 5

Yes i selected windows folder and all folder in C:drive  and select system statge

How to recovery system ?   If don't have system recovery .

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To do a manual recovery of your servers, read the procedure in the Preparing for Disaster Recovery chapter in the Admin Guide.

momaymm
Level 5

How to diffrent between BESR and BE backup folder (windows) ?

How to use  restorge file from BESR and BE backup folder (windows) ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You are mixing up two completely separate backup products

Both can backup you server (in full)

Both can restore your server using a bootable DVD/CD (BESR users SRD, BE uses SDR)

BE does file level backusp to either Tape, Disk or Deduplication storage

BESR/SSR does block/image level backups to disk storage ONLY

Note: BESR confusingly starts with the words "Backup Exec" but is a completely different product and this confusion caused us to rename newer versions as Symantec System Recovery (SSR) and it has it's own forum

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/forums/symantec-system-recovery-formerly...

Please make sure you know which product you are using and then use the appropriate documentation (admin guide etc) and forum to research your prioblem.