cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup hangs on file regevent.mof

Tom_Nattl
Level 3
Using BE 10d, backup repeatedly hangs on the file regevent.mof on a particular W2K server. This renders our complete backup schedules completely unusable when finding that after a complete weekend not even a single server has been backed up.

Yes, remote agent is used on that particular server.

Yes, we restarted each and every service on both the BE server and the server being backed up, and re-installed that agent.

No, no error sign on both BE server and server being backed up. Services are running. Event log is empty. Backup status says "running" while showing the a.m. file as being backed up. Byte count is frozen, time is ticking happily.

In addition to this, the job cannot even be cancelled. We have to manually kill the remote agent service, otherwise the BE server would show "Cancel pending" forever. Great fun.

A simple local NTBackup backs up the file without any problems.

After all, I'm beginning to regret upgrading to 10d as this is yet another problem we're facing. After four weeks of struggling we haven't managed to get a single full backup that finished without error. I cannot recall ever having used a server software that we spent so much time on to simply get it running.

Cheers
Tom
10 REPLIES 10

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
What happens when you exclude this file from the backup? Will ist freeze at another file or run through?

Which programs are accessing this file?

greetings
Peter

Tom_Nattl
Level 3
Excluding that particular file from backup will result in freezing on the next *.mof file.

Even excluding the parent directory as a whole will let the backup stall (on that directory!).

When checking open files: Those were not opened by other processes.

Stuck as before.

Cheers
Tom

Rick_Dolan
Level 3
I had this exact problem. The only thing that seemed to work is removing that server from the backup. In my case the server was replaced(upgraded) and the problem did not contiune with the machine that replaced it. I'm not sure what about those files caused the backup to hang on that server only.

Tom_Nattl
Level 3
Thanks for the input, but re-installing or replacing a server because the brand-new 2005 release of our backup software refuses it, is "not really" an option.

Needless to say, we're more than disappointed.

Cheers
Tom

Ric_Turner
Level 4
This is a problem with a corrupt file in the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) folder. Try the following:

1) Stop the WMI service
2) Copy everything out of the C:\Windows (or WINNT)\System32\Wbem\Repository folder to a temp folder somewhere.
3) Delete the contents of the Repository folder.
4) Start the WMI service again
5) Try doing a backup.

Chances are you can delete the backed up versions of the files as they are recreated on re-starting the WMI service. However, as always, make a copy of them first to ensure.

Tom_Nattl
Level 3
Thanks for the input, we'll give it a try. Still I don't understand why NTBackup backs up the files without problems.

Cheers
Tom

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please update us on the issue? You could also refer to the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276742

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

QMM_Admin
Level 2
This worked for me. I was experiencing the same exact problem and was able to resolve it using this suggestion. Thanks!

David_Freshly
Level 3
I have had the same problem on Version 9.1 for the last 3 nights. The first 2 were on the same server. Rebooted that server and it backed up last night fine but another server has hung up with the same condition. I have been running this version nightly well over a year on dozens of servers and never had this problem until last weekend. Although, the last couple of months I have been encountering problems backing up the WMI Repository on several servers. A restart seems to take care of that problem.

QMM_Admin
Level 2
I'm running BE 9.1 and am still experiencing this problem on one of my Win2k servers and one of my Win2k Pro workstations. Although the instructions to fix the issue work, the problem reoccurs after a couple of days.

This time when it happened, I went to stop the WMI service and the service failed to stop and now I can't stop or start it. The status says stopping and the WMI Service in the service mmc is grayed out. I guess I'll have to restart the server to clear it up this time.

I have found that the backup job can be canceled by canceling the job and then using the BE services utility stop the BE services and then restart them. It takes several minutes to stop the BE Job Engine so I don't watch it but come back later to restart the BE Services.

All help that clears up this issue for good will be greatly appreciated.