cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup issue

nthnu
Level 5
I am in need of assistance on this. Our tape drive went out a while back and we've been using 3TB USB drives. Well, it's not been pretty since.

Currently my issue is the below. It's our Full backup, which obviously didn't backup everything and failed. I've followed the instructions online and those appear to be implemented. Any other suggestions?

Job ended: Saturday, June 01, 2013 at 6:23:37 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34040

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- \\[server]\D:Storage device "USB Device" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

BackupA selection on device [server] was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nthnu
Level 5

We did some research and found this...

"Update: Seagate offered some clarification to the paragraph above. Internally the 3TB drive uses 512-byte sectors, however the GoFlex dock emulates a 4K drive to allow for a single 3TB partition to be created in Windows." (http://www.anandtech.com/show/3858/the-worlds-first-3tb-hdd-seagate-goflex-desk-3tb-review)

I assume the drive is good to use since it is 512 on the inside.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

1) check that the disk itself is not full.

2) as it is a 3TB disk check that the sector size is NOT 4k - we only currently support a 512 byte sector size and typically a 3TB drive will be supplied by manufacturer with a 4K sector size. This large sector size is only officially supported bty Microsoft with Windows 2012, hence will only be supported by us when we provide support for Windows 2012 - which in this instance would have to be 2012 support on the media server.

Most hardware vendors have a way to reformat with a 512 byte emulation mode.

nthnu
Level 5

Ok. Our environment is 2003, 2008, and 2008 R2 servers

1) It always has 1TB of free space after Fulls and Increms.

2) I checked using "fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo h:" and it shows...

Bytes Per Sector  :               4096
Bytes Per Cluster :               4096
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    : 4096

What would you suggest for us to fix this?

Micha_S_
Level 2
Partner Accredited

it looks like you must reformat the sectors to 512 bytes per sector or wait for the SP who support WS 2k12.

is that correct Colin ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

wait for the SP who support WS 2k12.

The SP is of no use because the only OS that support 4K sector size is Windows 2012 and the user is not using Windows 2012.

nthnu
Level 5

Is there a way to change the sector size without reformatting? If so, is that advisable and will the data be okay, or will it be best to just reformat the entire drive?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is there a way to change the sector size without reformatting?

No.

nthnu
Level 5

I went to reformat it, but it lists NTFS (Default) and exFAT. The lowest allocation unit for each is 4096bytes on NTFS and 256KB on exFAT.

nthnu
Level 5

We did some research and found this...

"Update: Seagate offered some clarification to the paragraph above. Internally the 3TB drive uses 512-byte sectors, however the GoFlex dock emulates a 4K drive to allow for a single 3TB partition to be created in Windows." (http://www.anandtech.com/show/3858/the-worlds-first-3tb-hdd-seagate-goflex-desk-3tb-review)

I assume the drive is good to use since it is 512 on the inside.