cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup jobs just dying before completed

Mike_Roden
Level 4
Since moving to 11d, some of my jobs just stop backing up....sometimes at 50%, sometimes at 80%, etc. The jobs don't fail, they just quit backing up. The job rate gradually moves down and the job timer keeps going up. I have let it set there for 30 minutes before and the byte count never moves.

Canceling the job does no good because it will never cancel. It just stays at Cancel Pending forever. I finally just have to stop the Backup Exec services on the server to get the job to finally cancel. Of course, that then screws up the remote agent, so I end up having to reboot that server just to get the remote agent back running.

None of these problems occurred with 10d. Is there anything I can do to get this working. Can I go back to 10d? I have not had a complete set of good backups since installing 11d.

Thanks,
Mike
7 REPLIES 7

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
I would narrow this down a bit first. Are you using AOFO or the new Granular Restore feature? If so, try a backup without these options selected and see if you get the same results. What type of resource is BE backing up when this happens.

Also, look through the Sys and App EVT logs for any errors around the time that the backup is running.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mike_Roden
Level 4
Jeff,

I'm not using AOFO and I'm not sure what the granular restore feature is. I have tried setting the option on the Advanced tab to Never and also Without a Lock. The problems I have had most are backing up my Domino 7 servers with the Domino Agent, but it has also died once backing up one of our SQL servers.

There is not one specific thing that is happening, it seems to be something different every time. I feel like it has to be related to the remote agents losing connectivity. I jumped in on another post on here regarding the journal entry errors too, so that's another problem.

I have actually gotten one successful backup from all servers. We have 8 different servers that we back up to disk (each a separate job), then all to tape (one more job).

As far a canceling the job, this particular one I asked about, I let it run for four and a half hours after canceling and nothing ever happened. I will just have to reboot the server.

Sorry, I can't give you much else to work with. I just know that it all worked fine with 10d.

Thanks,
Mike

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
Mike,

As far as the Change Journal issues. Not sure what you tried yet, and yes this could cause the backup to hang.

Go to HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows Servers\Engine\Domino\Enable Change Journal = 1. Change this to a 0, cycle the services, and re-enable it cycling the services again. If this doesnt do the trick, you may have to leave it disabled.

The Granular Restore Technology allows you to restore AD objects from System State backups, mailboxes from Exch db backups, and SPS docs. It is enabled by default for system state under Tool|Options|Microsoft AD|Backup.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mike_Roden
Level 4
Jeff,

Thanks for the explanation...I was missing the part about cycling services after each change to the registry. I'll try that next. Here's what I did about 15 minutes ago: I wiped out all of my B2D folders and recreated them. I also set all my jobs to Highest priority to see if that would help. I have them each scheduled at a different time, so nothing else should be running.

I am currently doing a manual backup to see what happens. I'll get back with you on Tuesday and let you know how it worked.

Thanks,
Mike

Robert_Merris
Not applicable
Mike,

Did you get this problem resolved? I'm having the same problem of the backup just stopping on random servers.

Mike_Roden
Level 4
Robert,

I am still having random stoppages during backups. It's only with my Domino servers lately although it did happen on one of my SQL servers at first.

What I've started doing as a workaround for this issue and the journal entry issue is just restart the BE remote service on my Domino servers each day, then hope they work that night. It sure throws things off in scheduling when I have to manually back up three Domino servers during the day.

I'm still hoping there will be some magic fix for the Domino agent.

Thanks,
Mike

T_K
Level 4
I'm having an issue with 11d BEWS puking at the exchange 2k3 mailboxes.

Bouncing the exchange servers solves it but annoying. It's even complaining that the agents need to be upgraded.

Any updates??