cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup jobs stopped working. "... you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent."

thalamususer
Not applicable

At first. I came in contact with backup exec for the first time a couple of months ago so im aware of my very basic skills...

At our company we have Backup Exec 2012 Version 14.0 Build 1798 installed on a Windows Server 2003 R2 (Virtual machine, VMware) from where we backup data from one server.

The problem now is that no jobs work due to the following error code.

"The job failed with the following error: Before you can back up this source, you must purchase and install a license for the appropriate Backup Exec agent. See the Job Log for details." 

We have made no changes to the backup jobs, no changes on the server which data is backed up from so the environment is the same as earlier when everything worked.

In June earlier this year we renewed our backup exec maintenance contract. This worked out just fine and recently i also renewed the "maintenance for Agent windows" contract which is valid for one year, from 2012-12-01 to 2013-11-30. (could this actually be the issue since there is no agent for windows license that is valid today, since it it valid FROM 2012-12-01?). The problem started a couple of months ago.

When looking in "Install options and licenses on this backup exec server" we have three licenses, as follows:

"Backup exec 2012" End date: N/A

"(Maintenance) Backup exec 2012" End date: 2013-06-08

"(Maintenance) Agent for windows" End date: 2013-11-30

I have reinstalled the licenes, i have reinstalled the agent on the remote server from the backup exec gui. I have read some threads where people have had similar issues but not with any success.

I´m going nuts here and do not know what to do. This is kind of urgent since we cannot backup data from our server, which is pretty critical...

Please help!! :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Contact licensing team for Agent for Windows license key, what you have posted above is the 

maintenance key. Refer to the below link for Symantec licensing team contact details

http://www.symantec.com/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Contact licensing team for Agent for Windows license key, what you have posted above is the 

maintenance key. Refer to the below link for Symantec licensing team contact details

http://www.symantec.com/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp