cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup not cataloged

galbori
Level 3

Strange situation. My version of Backup exec is backup exec 2010R3

I made planning diiferential backup every day of server/client pc. After each backup I've a log with error (usually pc client down) and list of saved files. Today I need to recover one file and with my great surprise one week is no present in list of cataloged backup !!!!!

I tried to recataloged the tape but that week is not yet listed. But I have log wiht result of backup!!!! What's happend and, above all, where I can find my backup ?

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

by default BE retains catalogs for 90 days.This is under Tools --> Options --> Media Management.

If you have run an Inventory, then Catalog job and it still doesn't shw up, make sure the date range in the restore configuration is correct.

Thanks!

galbori
Level 3

Thanks for your answer graigV. I've run inventory and then tape catalog, but that week (the first of April 1-7/04) is still not shown.

I'm sure about data range (really I've no data range)

CraigV

...I've personally had BE 2010 R3 (and R2 for that matter!) randomly select a date range in the 70s. I kid you not.

If you've run those 2 utility jobs, then great. Start the Restore wizard again, and you will see the option to select a date range. Do so (select a date slightly before the tape was written too, and a date after it was written too) and check if the tape shows up.

Thanks!

galbori
Level 3

Nothing is changed :(

Do you know if there is a possibility to check if in the tape there is that backup? (a part of catalog of course)

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Another possibility could be if that tape was overwritten by another backup.

CraigV

...find that tape in your library and try restoring directly from there...

Thanks!

galbori
Level 3

what do you mean with "... directly from there" ? I'm not sure to understand it.

CraigV

...go to the tape under your Media tab, right-click it and choose restore.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

that week (the first of April 1-7/04) is still not shown.

This is quite far back.  You need to make sure that the date range for the restore selection is wide enough.  See the parameter circled in red in the screenshot below.  In your case, you must set it to a date before April 2004 so that your tape backup set can be displayed.

BE 2010 - restore date range.png

galbori
Level 3

Ok, I did it, but the first week of April is not present in the list. Probably those backup are not on the tape, but I don't understand why the log is correct. Reading the log files backup seems to be normal ...

galbori
Level 3

I checked the range, In fact I can see backup older. I can see backup made in March I suppose that those backup was not made, but I don't understand why log files are normal. In log files are listed files and directory saved during that week