cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup not completing

Shizzle
Level 3
Hi,
We have a scheduled backup to start at 23:20.
It has been working fine for some time now, but all of a sudden, the backup is hanging/not completing.
When I get into work, the backup has been running for 8 hrs. When I look for event messages, there are no apparent problems, but if I open up the current backup job, it looks like it is hanging on the first mailbox in \\exchange\mailboxes
Please help
7 REPLIES 7

Shizzle
Level 3
It seems to have worked now that I have deselected all the Exchange mailboxes.
The problem I have is that there are many mailboxes, and I need to back them up.
The event logs don't show which mailbox has a problem.
Veritas doesn't report any error either.
How can I get this resolved? Is there any help you can give me?

Level 3
is it still not giving any errors or exceptions?

Shizzle
Level 3
I have run the update from "Tools" - "Veritas Update"
and installed the following hotfix:
9.1.4691 Hotfix 47 - Exchange Mailbox Backups (Backing up Microsoft Exchange mailboxes may cause the backup job to hang)
I have now also re-installed the Remote agents on all the cluster servers and exchange server.
This has updated "bedscomn.dll" and "bedsmbox.dll"
Will be rebooting at lunch time and then do some test backups.

Shizzle
Level 3
Backup has hung again after all the patching. There are no errors in the job log, it just shows that the backup is still running.
I did notice that in Exchange System Manager there is scheduled maintenance on the Exchange database starting at 1am.
Back to the Veritas backup log and I noticed the backup has been hanging between 1am and 2am.
I have rescheduled this maintenace interval to 3am
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Network control connection is established between 10.0.81.5:1467 <--> 10.0.81.14:10000
Network data connection is established between 10.0.81.5:1539 <--> 10.0.81.7:32988
\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
Family Name: "Media created 16/03/2005 23:30:06"
Backup of "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes "
Backup set #16 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Backup 0004"
Backup Type: FULL - Back up messages - Reset archive bit
Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started
Backup started on 17/03/2005 at 02:00:39.

Shizzle
Level 3
The back has not been successful again!
Is there anyone here that can offer any suggestions.
We have swept the Exchange server for viruses, installed all the hotfixes but still the backup is running for almost 9 hours, with no error, but it won't complete.
When I look at the Job Activity, it shows that it is busy on a particular Mailbox. I have excluded the mailbox that it hangs on, but then it just hangs on the next mailbox. I then ty to cancel the backup, but the cancel pending just hangs. So then I restart the BE services. I then check the job log, but there are no errors in the log.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Has the problem regarding Exchange mailbox backups hanging been resolved? You can install the latest service pack: SP2 for Backup exec which will resolve the issue.You can download the Service pack at the following link:

Title:VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 2
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275247

In case the problem persists, you can write back to the forum.
NOTE: If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.>

Regards.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply