cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of remote servers slow after Windows upgrade

Don_Atwood
Level 2
I recently upgraded my server that has the Veritas Backup Exec software on it. The server initially ran Window 2000 Server with Exchange 2000 Server. I upgraded it to Exchange 2003 and Windows Server 2003.
Ever since I performed that upgrade, the backup of the server itself runs exactly as it did before, but any backing up of anything remote runs at approximately 1MB per minute. I have tried upgrading to the latest Service Pack/Hotfix of 4454 with 9.0. Yesterday I installed 9.1 and upgraded that to the latest hotfix level and upgraded the remote agents, but it still ran very very slowly.
If anyone has any suggestions of what I can do, I would greatly appreciate it.
7 REPLIES 7

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

What are the files that you are backing up?
Are the backups slow only for exchange backups?

Please see the technote below for the reasons of slow backups:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231488

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Don_Atwood
Level 2
The exchange server backs up without any problem and the speed is acceptable. Once it finishes backing up the exchange server, it starts to backup the other servers we have and that is when it starts to become painfully slow.

After the backup of the server backup exec is installed on, it is set to backup all drives, the system state data, and (only in the case of our SQL server) the SQL data for 3 other servers.

Like I said in my previous post, it was fine until the server where backup exec is hosted was upgraded to Windows server 2003.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

What windows update did you install?
Also refer to the following technotes.

(title)How to correct slow backup performance, slow virus or pre-job scans, and agent initialization problems on fragmented Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows 2003 server partitions

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237444

(title) Reasons why the data throughput rate can be slower than the theoretical maximum when backing up to tape media

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231488
Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Don_Atwood
Level 2
Right now, in addition to Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2003, the updates I have installed on the server are:
(the backup performed the same before and after these updates were applied)
KB898715
KB896428
KB896422
KB890046
KB901214
KB896358
KB896727
KB899588
KB893756
KB899591
KB899587
KB894549
KB890830

Kevin_Scheer
Level 2
I would first check your network settings. Usually when I get slow backups is because the duplex is set wrong on one of the servers. I always set the switch and the server to 100 FULL.

Don_Atwood
Level 2
My question here is why would this only start happening after Windows was upgraded?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
PLease check if you have the latest drivers installed a fresh install will generally install the base drivers, else please try the OEM drivers.
Are you running exch and BE on the same machine?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.