cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup practices

Troy_Scott
Level 2
noob here. We have a library with 8 slots and I have slot 8 set as a cleaning slot. Question, would it be a good practice to designate a slot for every day of the week since I have 7 slots left? Can I do that? It makes good sense to me to do so. That way I can label each tape with the day of the week and it would be easier to restore data when I know what tape to restore from. Can you make a backup job use a certain slot? I know I would have to create a backup job for every day of the week.

I'm all ears on your backup strategy! Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Yes you can do that. You'd need to partition the library so you had one slot per partition and then point each days backup to the particular partition. To do that you go into Devices, select the library, and if you right click the library you'll see an option to setup the partitions.

Now in terms of it being a good idea... For ease of use I'd have to agree that it makes sense, however from the disaster recovery point of view it's not necessarily the best idea. To make sure you have a decent DR setup you want to remove the tapes after they've been written to, and either take them offsite or at a minimum put them in a fire proof safe. Otherwise if you have a fire or some other disaster that destroys your tape library, your most recent backup tapes will be trashed at the same time.

Troy_Scott
Level 2
thanks Keith! I meant to say, that our IT manager has us doing full backups everyday and we only take Sundays backup off site. I don't believe this to be the best solution, however I do like using full backups when it comes to restoring data.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As long as your backup window permits it, a FULL every night is the way that I would go. As you say, when (not if)) it comes time to re-build a system, it's definitely easier and faster