cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup server to desktop

cashewnut
Not applicable

A user wants to backup only work data from a windows server 2003 server to a windows 7 desktop nightly.
He does not want to install any backup exec on his server for a couple of reasons.
I've heard of DLO but from what I've read, a server component is needed to be installed onto the server, is this backup exec 2010?
I've also heard of System Recovery Desktop Edition, not that he needs anything other than his work data to be backed up, but that needs BE System Recovery 2010, where is that installed at?
What is the difference between the two and which is a better choice? Or any recommendation of another software?
The main thing is, it's from a server to a desktop. The desktop is acting as an external storage.

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE does not support the use of Win 7 as a media server, so BE is out.  You are right in that DLO is a component of BE and would require BE to be installed first.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

BESR is a separate product that is not part of BE itself. As it is a separate product it is separately licensed. It also has it's own forum if you need more information.

Howwever some key differences.

Backup Exec performs file level backups to disk or tape and has a feature full list of agents and options.

Backup Exec System Recovery performs a block level image backup of the volumes in the server, has slightly better DR handling but for the most part is only snapshot capable against databases. Additonally it cannot write the backup to tape. However asusming you can open a share up on the workstation it should be able to use it as a target.

Both products would require some footpint on your server (even if it is just an agent.)