cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup services constantly stopping

cnsol1
Level 3
We have a Windows 2000 SP4 running Backup exec 9.1 4691, for the past 2 weeks when ever the backup reaches 6GB, it seems that the services stop and the backup fails.
It seems that something just stops the services, or the backup itself stops the services and ofcourse backup fails.
Event logs shows id 7031 and 34113
There is 1GB room left on c drive
Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

Mani_2
Level 6
Hello,

Initially we suggest you to perform the following to resolve the issue.

- Install SP1 from the following link.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267180.htm

- Reapply MDAC v2.8 from the following link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=239114#4

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8F0A8DF6-4A21-4B43-BF53-14332EF092C9&displaylang=en

- Create a new Backup-to-Disk folder and target the job to the newly create folder and verify the results.

Kindly let us know if the issue persists.

cnsol1
Level 3
Hello
I have installed service pack 1 for Backup exec 9.1 and reinstalled MDAC 2.8. Also rebooted server after installtion but still no go.

For some reason the services switch off/die/ what ever you want to call it close to same time each night. About 2.55am to 3.30am. No other process are running at the time eg. defrag, antivirus scans etc...
As you know there are two jobs running Backup to Disk begins at 6pm and is still runnning when the backup to tape starts at 11.30pm. It looks like when the backup to disk gets to about 127GB and the backup to tape gets to about 80GB (total backup if 157GB) is when services fail, also once it fails the the job history saya that the backup to tape has only performed 5GB even though I saw in middle of night that it was up to 75GB.
As the sercices die, there is no proper log, the log is in text format not the expected browser log..

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hello there,

In order to isolate the issue, schedule the jobs to run at another time and check the results. Does the services stop when the job runs in the day time?

Thank you.

Level 2
I've a similar issue with the size loged vs the size backed up, when backup fails with error "a00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding" and I guess the Veritas can't write to the log the last part of the job. Because of that it seems like if were backed up lees data than really does. Today I repared the database and the installation, an tonight I'll see the results.

cnsol1
Level 3
I have isolated as suggested. I put the backup to folder on hold and only ran the backup to tape. The backup to tape performed a full amount of 160GB but still the services stopped. I have realised that its not all the service but only the Job Engine service that stops itself. The rest of the services are still running. Something is shutting down the job engine.

I have stopped the tape backup and ONLy ran the Backup To Folder - Same problem, Backup performs 160GB and the JOB ENGINE FAILSMessage was edited by:
cnsol1

cnsol1
Level 3
Just wondering if moderates have any suggestion for this issue we are having.
Surely we are not the first people to have issue like this.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

As the job engine service stops please do the following steps:

1. please assisgn the BESA to the BEWS server services

2.please recreate the jobs and selection list and then try running the job

3. Please respond to any media alerts
Media alert may be a media insert alert to insert an overwritable media to continue the job a media alert that could crash the job engine if it has not been responded to, in the cancellation time window.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be

"assumed answered" and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply

Chuck_Prater
Level 3
We're experience similar issues. event viewer shows: Hanging application BkupExec.exe, version 9.1.4691.3, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

With us it either stops or hangs.

cnsol1
Level 3
We spent sometime trying to troubleshoot but in the end, we uninstalled backup exec completely - all components and than reinstalled. This fixed the issue ?????

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
It appears from the last post that the problem got resolved after re-installation of Backpup Exec.