cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup speed has slowed over several months

Self_Enhancemen
Level 2

Hello, thank you for reading.

I have a server whose volume of data backed up has not changed significantly, but whose Job Rate has dropped dramatically since April and I cannot figure out why. It is a backup-to-tape of less than 200GB on LTO-4, and it has gone from taking about 2 hours to taking 12+.

The backup is a Duplicate from a local backup-to-disk volume on the backup server. The Elapsed Time and Job Rate on the backup-to-disk job, which is linked to the tape job by template, has not changed significantly.  I have gone through the job log and noticed that the generation of each subsequent (4 GB) bkf has taken longer than the previous one as the job progresses, with the first taking about 3 minutes, and the last taking 45 minutes.

I have a Server 2008 Standard x86 SP2 machine running Backup Exec 2010 R3.

I'm attaching a spreadsheet showing the progression of the backup-to-tape job, showing its tenfold decline in three months. The only troubleshooting steps I have taken so far have been to update the backup server, the backed-up server, and the tape drive, and to run a couple cleaning tapes through the drive.

Please help, and thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that the disk where the B2D folder is residing is badly fragmented.  Have you tried defragmenting the disk?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you see any active alerts in the alerts tab? Also have you tried updating the device drivers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that the disk where the B2D folder is residing is badly fragmented.  Have you tried defragmenting the disk?

Self_Enhancemen
Level 2

Thank you, Amol. No, there are no "Error" alerts, and two "warning" alerts not related to that job.

Self_Enhancemen
Level 2

Thank you, pkh. I will run a defrag and see if that is of any help.

Self_Enhancemen
Level 2

I posted two replies that have apparently not shown up ... but there are no active alerts, & I ran a defrag and will find out tonight if that improves it.