cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup strategy for discussion

Geroi
Not applicable

Hiya, 

this is my first post on the forum so welcome all.

I need to ask for an advice about my backup strategy.

I have :

First physical box running Win208r2 server as domain controller (call it DC) with 3 virtual machines on it. First one is called FILES and it's a simple file sharing server. Second one is called MAIL and it has Exchange 2010 all in one with email database sitting on C drive, Third one is called SERVICE and it holds SQL database and some applications for business - this server also uses Truecrypt database encryption mechanism installed by the 3rd party.

All above systems have agents installed and all are being backed up onto media server.

Second physical box is media server with BE2012 and an array of 3TB hard drives - this is where all the backups are stored. Also I have an Ultrium2 tape drive plugged it to this box but I'm not yet using it.

My backup strategy which I need to review is as follows :

DC - weekly full backup of DC operating system, and 'external' backup of FILES and MAIL. I've excluded SERVICE server from this as BE can't handle TrueCrypt sitting on he sever. Data kept for 2 weeks

DC - daily incremental backups of DC, FILES & MAIL.Data kept for 1 week.

FILES - weekly fill backup of operating system and all shared files. Data kept for 2 weeks.

FILES - dailt incremental backup of operating system and all shared files. Data kept for 1 week.

MAIL - daily full backup of operating system and mail database. Data kept for 2 weeks.

SERVICE - daily fill backup of operating system. Becasue the database is set up using TrueCrypt - I can't back it up though BE as it kept on crashing. I'm manually copying database files to remote location on a daily basis.

Problems I have :

- daily amount of data basked up is ~200GB

- running low on space - even 3TB array is not good enough for such a setup.

- I only have 2 weeks of backups

- I want to set up backup duplication to tape but I'm not sure how to set up tape rotation.

- all backups sitting on 1 location

Please is somebody can have a look and recommend different approach to this I would really appreciate it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It's pretty simple to set up. After your initial jobs, you create a stage which duplicates this information to tape. You'd setup your normal Append/OPP settings on the media set which the tape backups will be duplicated too.

Don't just backup the *.bkf files...duplicating them keeps the catalogs intact. This means that you can probably shorten your disk backup retention times while extending the amount of time data is kept on tape, meaning you don't run out of disk space.

Read below on how to set this up:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187265

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

It's pretty simple to set up. After your initial jobs, you create a stage which duplicates this information to tape. You'd setup your normal Append/OPP settings on the media set which the tape backups will be duplicated too.

Don't just backup the *.bkf files...duplicating them keeps the catalogs intact. This means that you can probably shorten your disk backup retention times while extending the amount of time data is kept on tape, meaning you don't run out of disk space.

Read below on how to set this up:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187265

Thanks!