cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup strategy using B2D folders-is this possible?

draz
Not applicable
I just picked up four 500 GB USB drives that I'd like to use in rotation, one a week. Each drive would have folders named Monday, Tuesday, etc that would hold full data backups that would run every day (my total data is less than 30 GB). Once a week I would replace the drive with another drive, with subdirectories named in the same fashion.  I would then be able to have serial full data backups offsite, with as many as seven full data backups on the currently running USB drive.  Only problem seems to be that Symantec's B2D process seems to force the removable drive backup to go to the VERITAS subdirectory.  Is there any way to specify different subdirectories for each different day?  Is there any way to further automate this process, such as with a batch file, etc?  I'd like to have as little hands-on as is possible. I would like to be able to tell my staff simply to replace the USB drive with a new drive every Monday, and have the backups work automatically after that is done.  How can I do this?
3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It cannot be removable backup to disk folder. You have to make a regular backup to disk folder, for the kind of implementation you need. After you replace the drive, you can run hot swappable drive configuration wizard to detect the new drive. There does not appear a way to automate this process. Following document talks about this wizard:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/299003

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Draz,

You'd create the folders like you want on that drive (Mon --> Fri etc). Once done, open up BEWS, go into Devices, and use the B2D wizard to create new B2D folders for Backup Exec, and point the location of each to the corresponding drive folder.
From there you can create your jobs, and point them to their respective B2D targets.
Obviously you have to create the folders on each of your other HDDs in exactly the same way, but all-in-all it's not too difficult. I assume you will have enough space on each 500GB drive for full backups 5x per week?

Laters!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Dude,

Any news...?