Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup takes 2 hours longer with same data volume

flugfaust
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

on a server with Backup EXEC 10d, the backup takes since 3 weeks about 2 hours longer than before. The data volume is the same and I don't know what I can do to get back the old backup times.

Nothing was configured in the backup job. What could be the problem?

THANKS

6 REPLIES 6

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Please elaborate :-

Is the Backup to Tape or Disk and what kind

Are you backing up a file server or app which is local or remote

Have you tested a Copy/ Network Test to make sure network is not the culprit if you are backing up a remote system. Backup the same amount of data for a test to see the difference

Make sure BE is updated to the latest Service Pack and the agent is also updated

Also update drivers,firmwares etc for the Tape unit if thats the destination.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check your joblog and see what resource is slowing the job down and then see what is holding up the resouce, e.g., it could be that a new housekeeping job is running on that resource.

flugfaust
Level 4
Partner Accredited

It is a standalone server that runs windows 2003 sbs. So I do backup for exchange and files. I have updated backup exec 10d to SP4. I can't take a look at the older log. I only can see the logs since the backup take 2 hours longer.

I don't kow why the backup takes a longer time. Any idea what I can do more?

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Please specify what the old backup time was?

Where do you place the backup? Tape, Disk? What type of hardware are you using (LTO2, LTO3)?

Did you add data to the server? Does it need to backup more?

flugfaust
Level 4
Partner Accredited

The old backup time was 6 hours and 30 minutes. Now it takes 8 hours and 30 minutes. The server does not contain more files than before. No changes were made on anything on the server or in the backup software. The Tape drive is a HP LTO Ultrium-2

teiva-boy
Level 6

AV software (e.g. proper exclusions)?  Is this a new tape? Hvae you tried a long erase of a new tape?  Have you tried a defrag of your HDD?  There are so many things to try here.