cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-Disk Media Chosen Over Tape Media

Brett_Mow
Level 3
Version 9.1 for Windows randomly chooses to use Backup-to-Disk as the media for my daily backups instead of the tape media, which exists at the time of backup and is overwritable. This happened a couple of weeks ago and I inventoried the tape library and then all worked fine after that. Last week the same problem happened. The daily backup ran fine Mon-Thu, but on Friday it used the Backup-to-Folder media instead of the tape drive, and there was a tape in the library that was overwritable and in the applicable media set. I have noticed this before but thought it was a random error. It has now happened several times. There is no rhyme or reason as to when it occurs. In fact in this last instance the Weekly backup ran on Sat without a problem and used the tape media. All backup jobs are set to All Drives and overwrite media. I have not done anything to the library, and I am going to see if the daily job runs tonight (its first since last Friday) using the folder or tape.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

ThanksDaily backup on 1/18 AM used the backup to disk folder insteaad of the tape media.

Message was edited by:
biasucci
5 REPLIES 5

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
As you have mentioned that you are targeting the job to all drives drive pool, all the tape drives as well as backup to disk folders are there by default. In order to resolve this, you can do the following :

1> Create a new drive pool and keep only those devices which you would like to target the job to.
Please refer to the following link:
- Creating and configuring drive pools in VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x for Windows Servers
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262932.htm

2> You can set the prorities of the devices stating in which order you would like to target the job to the devices.
3> check your overwritable option. Change it to recyclable before scratch. Verify the results.
We hope this will help.

Brett_Mow
Level 3
I still want the backup to disk folder as a part of the pool just for those cases where there IS a problem with the tape drive and the data will still be backed up.

Tape drive is already set as Priority 1.

Overwritable option is already set to recyclable.

Any add'l help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
Since you are using Robotic Library, you can configure slots and partitions and fire the job on the partition.
Please refer the following technote to create the partition on Autoloader.
Title:- How to create and manage autoloader (robotic library) partitions using VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/206843.htm

As an additional reference, please refer to the following
Title:- How to partition a loader and still be able to target a specific drive to be used for a backup operation.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241773.htm

We hope this helps.

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

Kindly let us know if the issue persists.

Varsha
Level 6
We presume that the issue is resolved.