cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk and swapping disks (queued)

Michael_Sovitzk
Level 3
I have a client that just upgraded to 10d. They still have the same problem. They have a full backup scheduled nightly going to a backup to disk folder, which is a folder on an external USB hard drive. They have several physical external hard disks they swap when the drives fill up.

They stop backup exec services, swap the drives, then start backup exec services. They check Devices, and it looks normal. As soon as they try to run the job, it stays queued.

I need to either create a new backup-to-disk folder or rename the changer and folder.cfg files, run an inventory, stop and start the services, and then run the job.

Is there anyway to not have to do either of the last 2 workarounds I mentioned? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Michael
1 REPLY 1

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Backup Exec does not support swapping different hard drives in an attempt to use different physical devices for the same backup-to-disk folder in Backup Exec

Refer this technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/276904

Removable Hard disk drives can be removed and reattached at a later time but they can not be swapped.

This may not work and is not supported. This is because both the hard disks will have different drive identification codes, which are hard coded.

Currently you may use the mentioned workarounds!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.