cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup - to - Disk -> SAN

iCe
Level 3

Good morning.  I've been using BE for years but this is definatly a stumper.  This might be a long post, but I want to make sure I give all the information for troubleshooting.

------- Equipment --------

Windows 2003 Server w/SP2

** BE12 w/sp1 loaded **

** Windows Services for Unix 3.5 **

Sun StorageTek 2510 w/1.2TB

** 500GB Partition set aside for B2D **

SunFire 4550 Server

** NFS mount point for the SAN unit above **

---------------------------

Since my last powersurge and unable to recover my tapes, I've been tooling around with the idea of not only continuing to backup my servers to tapes, but also to have a 'hot' backup (redundency) on the SAN unit mentioned above.  For testing purposes I partitioned 500GBs on the SAN unit and NFS mounted it through the SunFire server (the SAN is a iSCSI device and the SunFire is it's 'host').  I then loaded Windows Services for Unix 3.5 and configured the Windows server as a NFS client.  I have been able to mount / unmount / copy and delete files off the SAN partition without a problem.  When mounting the drive in windows, it shows up as a shared drive ( Z:\ ).  Now here's the kicker.

Going into the Devices -> B2D wizard -> creating a new folder path , when I type in the path to the NFS mount (ex: \\10.0.0.1\b2d) I get a "Unable to create new backup folder.  Access denied".  The weird thing is that this NFS mount properties allows 'guests' with RWX permissions.  To verify the error, I disconnected the drive ( Z:\ ), reconnected and copied a file via windows explorer without any problems.  I've tried mapping the drive in the B2D wizard with and without the Z:\ drive mounted to windows.  I'm able to see all my physical hard drives in the wizard, but no network drives show up.  I'd really like to use my SAN unit as it was designed to be and not just a huge paperweight.  I've always been under the impression that BE can utilize SANs.  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks...

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Kinda grasping at straws here, but if you logon to the media server as the backupexec service account, can you map \\10.0.0.1\b2d), and then create a new file?

iCe
Level 3

Oddly yes I can .. which is so confusing.....

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Got me then.

Looks like you'll have to haul out the ol' credit card and open an incidentSmiley Sad Smiley Mad