cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-Disk media question

Carole_Grayson
Level 3
I created Backup to Disk folders but when I attempt to backup to these folders, there is no actual "media" there. There is nothing to inventory, no media shows in these media sets, nothing. Help.
8 REPLIES 8

Ed_crossley
Level 4
Hi
When you create a backup-to-disk folder, Backup Exec puts 2 small config files in that folder and nothing else. Creating a backup job that references your newly created backup-to-disk folder then creates backup-to-disk files (.bkf) based on the settings you specified in the configuration of your backup-to-disk folder. Be warned that if you have a second job that references the same backup-to-disk folder, it will overwrite the .bkf files.
Hope that helps
Ed

Carole_Grayson
Level 3
How do I avoid all of these teeny tiny backup files in one folder? I would like one day's backup to be in one folder.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- What do you actually mean when you say:

"created Backup to Disk folders but when I attempt to backup to these folders, there is no actual "media" there"

- Are you trying to backup the backup to disk folders?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ed_crossley
Level 4
Imagine those teeny tiny files as teeny tiny 1GB tapes. In the configuration of your B2D folder, it is possible to make the default size bigger and increase the number of files, but i don't think it is recomended.
As to having a folder fully of one days backup, you could create a job for each day referencing a B2D folder for each day i.e. 'B2D-Monday', 'B2D-Tuesday' etc.
Will you be offlining the backup of the B2D folder to tape??

Ed

Carole_Grayson
Level 3
Yes, we are offlining the Monthly job to tape. I would like for one B2D folder to contain one backup job - Tuesday's job, for example, on one 'tape' or media in that folder. I don't want a lot of 1gb tapes, I want one tape for the whole job.

Ed_crossley
Level 4
You could try altering the size of the files in the configuration of the B2D folder to a size big enough to catch all on one file (100GB!?!?!) but i think performance or something may be affected ;)
regards

Ed

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The problem with large files is that (until recently) BackupExec did not pre-allocate the entire size of the file, but would allocate in chunks until the size limit was reached. This resulted in horrendous fragmentation. But so would allocating a bunch of smaller files

it is either in Beta testing or a new HotFix that BackupEec will pre-allocate the entire size when the file opens. This avoids most of the fragmentation, but does take significant time the first time a BKF file is initialize. If/When the BKF file is re-used, there is no preallocation delay. (See http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4371989똕 )

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please Update us on the issue...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.