Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk over SAN

Ram_Ganapathi
Not applicable
Hi,

The environment is as follows:

Windows 2000/2003 servers (about 20), GbE network and internal storage for the servers. Currently use Backup Exec v9.1 to tape unit from a single backup server.

Looking at:
Installing a fibre channel network with centralized storage for about half the servers. Also want to upgrade to BE 10d for utilizing the disk backup features.

Question:
Can I install BE 10d on the lone backup server and use the SAN SSO option to backup the data from the SAN-attached storage to another LUN on the same storage system before moving the data to tape? Or, is there a different way to do this? The objective is to avoid the data traversing the production network to flow from the disk storage to the backup server and then back to the disk storage (different target location).

Can the other servers (with internal storage) still backup their data, using remote clients, over the network to the disk target?

How long can I keep the data on the disk before I need to migrate it off to tape?

Thanks in advance.
1 REPLY 1

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Are you trying to perform a duplicate Backup?

- Kindly refer the page no 1027 of the following Document:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269777

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.