cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup - to - Disk

CASW_Tech
Level 4
Every Thursday we do a server restart. Once the restart is complete, the B2D folders jump offline. The B2D are not restarted during this cycle and are 100% accessible by both IP and Name. This is usually an easy fix by just right clicking and selecting "Online". However, we find out that they are offline by backups failing. Is there a script we can run after the backups to do this automatically? Or is there a setting that could be causing the issue?

It's not an issue with space, network connectivity, or overwrite protection.

As always thank you for any assistance offered.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It's probably because the Device and Media Service has started before the processes that start the network access to the NAS can start.

You might be able to write something that runs as a Task Scheduler command that uses  bemcmd to find out the status of the B2D device and then calls a NET STOP / NET START SEQUENCE if the status is offline and make that scheduled task run say once an hour.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

B2D folders shouldn't put themselves offline. From my side, look at upgrading your installation with the latest patches available for BE 2010. There is a fix for a B2D which helped me with backing up to my NAS.
Do that, restart your server, and see if this fixes it.

Laters!

PS: Are these B2D folders local or not?

CASW_Tech
Level 4
I have all the updates/hot fixes. I installed them all yesterday before the restart. And it happened last night. The B2D are attached to the server via network cable.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
OK...so it is a NAS! Are you getting anything in the Alerts tab?

CASW_Tech
Level 4

The backup-to-disk device is offline.

This is typically caused by the folder becoming inaccessible due to it being deleted, renamed, or unshared. It may also be caused by a disk full condition. The folder state has been set to offline. Please attend to this condition. Additional detail may be found in the Event Viewer - Application Log..

And yes it is a NAS, sorry I didn't specify in the opening statement.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It's probably because the Device and Media Service has started before the processes that start the network access to the NAS can start.

You might be able to write something that runs as a Task Scheduler command that uses  bemcmd to find out the status of the B2D device and then calls a NET STOP / NET START SEQUENCE if the status is offline and make that scheduled task run say once an hour.

CASW_Tech
Level 4
So essentially just restart the services once the server is completely up and running?

If so, whats the command line?

teiva-boy
Level 6
Why not put in a service dependency that the BE device service cannot start until the networking services start.  I have to do that all the time for SQL/Exch/etc and iSCSI.

There are a number of how-to's on the web to create a service dependency.  It's very easy to do!