cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to External Drive

Oscar_Martine1
Level 2
Good Morning,

I would like to backup my server to an External Drive and I'm unable to run the job because I don't see it on the Job Monitor. Please take a look at the step took to setup the Job and let me know what am missing to get this job to run.

1) I selected Devices and then Removeable Backup-To-Disk Devices and I named it External Full-Backup and selected the External Drive which if F:

2) I create a Job Call External Full-Backup

3) However I do not see the Job on the Job Monitor. What do I have to do next?

Thank in Advance
9 REPLIES 9

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
The backup job won't appear in the job monitor until such time as it has completed running (bottom half), or is either currently running or scheduled to run (top half).

Have a look within Job Setup, your backup job should be listed in the top section titled Jobs. If you don't see it listed there, does it show up in the selections list. Make sure in the Device Name column that it is set to use your drive.

One thing to note if you can't see your job listed is that where you enter a name for the job under selections is not the actual job name, that's entered within Settings, General section.

Once you've found it, go to the Schedule section, and tell it when you want to run the backup. Once you click OK you'll probably get a message up confirming the job has been scheduled, after which it should appear within the Job Monitor.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

T_Ball
Level 2
I understand about the Job Monitor. My issue is that I'm trying to trigger the backup by the hard drive being connected. Once the hard drive is connected, it gets mapped as Q:. Once that drive gets mapped, I want Backup Exec to start a certain job. I could schedule a daily backup for, say 10:00 AM, but I can't guarantee that the hard drive will be connected at the time.

T_Ball
Level 2
Ok, here is what I have done to try and implement a solution. I schedule a new job to start between 10:00 and 1:30 during the day, each day. That should give her a window to get the hard drive connected.

If the hard drive isn't connected at 10:00, but she plugs it in at 11:30, will Backup Exec see it and start the job?

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Ahhhh, T Ball, did you not mean to respond to this post http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=66850&tstart=45 instead, which was my actual responce to your message?

Oscar_Martine1
Level 2
Yes I do see the Job on the Jobs list. Nevertheless when I try to run the job I get the following error.

Please insert overwritable media into the Backup-to-Disk device.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

Respond Yes to acknowledge.
Respond No to retry the operation.
Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.

Why?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What are the overwrite protection period and the append period settings?

Regards,

Oscar_Martine1
Level 2
I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you are asking for. Please note that I'm new to this software. However I give it my best shot to answer you question. I selected Devices and Selected the Enternal Drive which I create and withing this External drive their is a Media Labeled FLDR000017 and I right clicked on it and slected properties.

I see that the Overwrite Procection Until ( Imported Media)
and Appendable Until (Not Appendable)

Is this what you need?

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

What sort of external drive-USB drive, Iomega drive?

Click on "Media".

If you see the Backup to Disk folder, drop and drag it to "Scratch Media".

Go to "Devices" tab-right click on the Backup to Disk folder and select "Inventory".

If the "Inventory" is successful try running a job to it.

In the job properties-Device and Media-When this job starts -"Overwrite Media".

Check whether the job goes through.

Regards
Padmaja