cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow network backup from agent for Mac OS X

Mark_Dols
Level 2
When I backup from a quad core G5 to a LTO3 library connected to a PC server via a GbE network the write speed is 140 MB/min.

Backup directly from the server disk is 2600 MB/min, Mac to PC server copy over the network is 1980 MB/min.

Is something wrong here?
4 REPLIES 4

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

"Mac to PC server copy over the network is 1980 MB/min."

Please elaborate on the environment and if you are getting error message ?

Update us on the same

Thank you
Gauri

Mark_Dols
Level 2
Hi,

Our configuration: a PC server and several Mac workstations connected by a GbE network (Cisco Linksys SRW2024 switch).

When I copy files from a Mac workstation to the PC server via the GbE the transfer speed is about 1980 MB/min.

When I backup files with from the internal disk in the PC server with Backup Exec 10d to a SCSI LTO3 tape library (Tandberg T40) the write speed is about 2600 MB/min.

I've installed the Backup Exec Unix Agent, Version 5.01 Revision 5.045 on all MacOSX workstations.

When I backup files from the Mac workstations with Backup Exec over the network using the agent the write speed is about 140 MB/min.

Now I would expect some overhead when making a backup over the network but 140 MB/min is obviously too slow. Is there a way to speed things up?

greetings,
Mark

Mark_Dols
Level 2
Sorry, I made a mistake: when I backup files from the Mac workstations with Backup Exec over the network using the agent the write speed is about 800 MB/min.

But that's still less than half of the network speed. Is there a way to make this faster?

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Make sure that all network card drivers are up to date. This includes the backup and remote servers

Please make sure that host entree is added on the BEWS server for the Mac server name and IP

Check Network card settings. Change from auto detect to full duplex or half duplex.

Thanks!