cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Network Folder Fails Intermittently

Lance_Husoy
Level 2
Backup Exec 10 on Small Business Server 2003 Premium

The situation is here is not critical. The backup to tape is working well.

However, a back up to disk folder job, server A (SBS2003) backed up to folder on server B (Server 2003 Std), fails intermittently with the following error messages:

Backup Set Detail Information :

Storage device "BU-Exec" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
The specified network name is no longer available.

V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

Job Completion Status :

Job ended: August 23, 2006 at 2:25:00 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34036

Errors:

Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- E: LargeStorage device "BU-Exec" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported:
The specified network name is no longer available.
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

Credentials for the backup job are adequate.

The job often completes successfully.

When the job fails, it always fails on the last backup set. (Edit: The last backup set always starts and backs up about 2Gb of data.) All earlier sets complete.

Test runs complete successfully.

Event logs on the servers in question offer no clues.

(Edit: A communication failure between the two servers cannot be generated by moving data, 2Gb, 5Gb, 10Gb, back and forth between them. Network performance is quite peppy even during peak hours of activity. The back up to folder job runs at a time of particularly low network activity.)

I am puzzled.

Message was edited by:
Lance Husoy
7 REPLIES 7

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Lance,

The data that is getting backed up ot this folder is it a USB or a physical drive or a shared drive?

Have you created a Removable Backup-to-Disk folder for this?

Lance_Husoy
Level 2
Hi Rucha,

The data is being backed up to a network share on a physical non-removable drive in another server.

The job is not overly important; it is a safety net duplication of the tape backup, which is generally working well -- failures are rare.

The settings for the folder are to allow immediate overwriting.

There is lots of space -- 72 Gb allowed. The job is a small one, about 22 Gb in total, and normally this takes about an hour and half to run.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

"Storage device 'BackupF:1' reported an error on a request to read data from media. ." is reported in a failed backup-to-disk job log.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/239746

Thank You,

Shweta

Lance_Husoy
Level 2
Hi Shweta,

The document gets us close -- it is indeed the error message -- but unfortunately the target folder is already configured in devices by its UNC path.

It is most curious: the job often completes successfully; it always starts and runs through the first couple of back up sets OK; and when it fails, it does so after backing up 2 to 3 Gb of the final backup set. ?????

I haven't had time to dig into this because of its relative lack of importance. It is more of an interesting challenge than a pressing concern.

Interesting....

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Interesting indeed to find out as to why the backup fails after backing up 2 to 3 Gb of the final backup set. What are you backing up in the final set? Does the job fail on any particuar file/s? Do you get any errors in the event logs?
You can run an sgmon followed by the job and then check for errors in it:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190979.htm

Lance_Husoy
Level 2
"What are you backing up in the final set?" Nothing special, just data -- some old Clipper databases, MS Office files, etc.

"Does the job fail on any particuar file/s?" It doesn't seem to. The issue would seem to be with access to the remote folder failing in mid-job rather than with access to the data being backed up.

"Do you get any errors in the event logs?" Nothing revealling on either server.

"You can run an sgmon followed by the job and then check for errors in it" I might try this, but I suspect that if I ran the job manually, it would run to completion without problems. :^D I can do test runs without problems. The job has just run for 4 days in a row without problems. But it can just as easily fail 4 days in a row. Unfortunately, unless I am willing to hang around until 4 AM, it will be a long while before I can manually run the backup. Things are just to busy. More later.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly try to repair the Database.

Refer the following Document for the same:

How to run a Backup Exec database repair when the original Backup Exec database is found to be inconsistent

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Thank You,

Shweta