cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-disk Failure / Media Set

DRo
Level 3

Backup Exec 12.5 - Attempting Exchange backup-to-disk

I want to retain my Exchange, GRT enabled backup for 5 days, And afterwhich begin an overwrite of the earliest one. I Attempted a number of media set options but i cant seem to get it right. It backed up fine two night in a row but failed the 3rd night on all 3 attempts. It actually seems to copy full Information Store then somehow fails at the end and says it was a directory error. I believe it has to do with media set options an doverwirte protection, but i dont understand it very well yet. Im a bit new to BExec

What is the diffenrence in purpose between the B2D00000 file and the IMG000000... files within my backup to disk folder under Devices. Sorry I hope this isnt a big bother. The main issue is how to setup the backup cycle to retain 5 days on the disk and then overwrite. Your expertise is very much required. Thanks Much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

OK

Verify that all your jobs are defined as "overwrite" not "append"

As Hywel mentioned, make sure from Tools/Options/Media Management that the option to "use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" is selected.

To retain 5 backup sets, set the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) for the media set to 4 days [just in case the job ends after midnight] and the APP to 0 never append)

That should do what you want

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

B2D files are the "normal" files created by a backup-to-disk.

IMG files are the files created by GRT (granular restore-enabled backup) of an Exchange server.

If you were not using GRT for your backups, you would simply set your media set to have an Overwrite Protection Period of 5 days, and ensure that your media overwrite option was set to use overwritable media before scratch media.

Now I shall reveal my ignorance, because I don't use GRT! In previous versions of Backup Exec, IMG files didn't adhere to the overwrite rules, and you'd have to remove old IMG files yourself, as they would simply grow and grow. I don't know whether that issue still exists, and if not, when it was overcome. I'm sure someone else who knows will be along shortly...

DRo
Level 3

No prob. thx for the attempt :) Someone familiar with it should be along soon

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

This was fixed in v12 IIRC, but certainly in v2010

But even with v11 (the first version to support GRT), they would eventually overwrite, just not until the volume filled up or until BE reached the "Reserve Disk Space" threshhold

DRo
Level 3

Im Using BE 12.5. For further clarity, the IMG folders containing the Exchange store actually are created even though the job returns a failed status. I the failure error has more to do with teh media set and Overwite protectiong settings that i dont have a firm handle on. I want the backups retained for five days and then overwritten. I dont even mind if I haev to remove them manually but as logn as each nights backup to disk does not replace the previous. Thx for the help

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

OK

Verify that all your jobs are defined as "overwrite" not "append"

As Hywel mentioned, make sure from Tools/Options/Media Management that the option to "use overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" is selected.

To retain 5 backup sets, set the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) for the media set to 4 days [just in case the job ends after midnight] and the APP to 0 never append)

That should do what you want

DRo
Level 3

I try tonight, Thanks!