cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup-to-disk creating multiple .bkf files

colin_parke
Level 3
I perform a full backup to removable 300Gb hard drives every night. I have set the maximum size for my device to 250Gb with a disk reserve of 20Gb. I have also set my overwrite protection period to 0 hours and my append period to 2 weeks for my media set. I want backup Exec to just back on to one .bkf file for each hard drive. Every time I run my backup, it starts by overwriting my the original .bkf, but about half way through starts to create new media and I end up with multiple .bkf files!! What do I need to set to make it back up to just 1 bkf file?
6 REPLIES 6

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
What is the size of the backup job, what is the size of the .bkf files created and what is the max no. of backup sets per file.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool

colin_parke
Level 3
Hello Renuka,
The backup job size is approx. 136Gb accross 3 servers and last night it created 8 lots of .bkf files with the following sizes:
Bkf1 - 37.6Gb - Backs up server 1 (Has Backup Exec sat on it) and some of server 2.
Bkf2 - 12.4Gb - Backs up some of server 2
Bkf3 - 18.5Gb - Backs up the rest of server 2 some of server 3.
Bkf4 - 0.2Gb - Backs up some of server 3
Bkf5 - 8.8Gb - Backs up some of server 3
Bkf6 - 0.004Gb - Backs up some of server 3
Bkf7 - 8.2Gb - Backs up some of server 3
Bkf8 - 0.1Gb - Backs up the rest of server 3
The maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file to 1.

colin_parke
Level 3
Hi,

This is still a problem and is quite frustrating. Please can you help me out with this problem.

Cheers

colin_parke
Level 3
I have tried uninstalling the remote agents off the other servers and then re-installing, but this has not worked and the problem still exists!

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the technote given below

(title) Why are multiple .bkf (backup-to-disk) files being created for backup-to-disk jobs?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/248751

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

colin_parke
Level 3
Hi Tejashree,

I had already looked at all the technotes relating to this problem, but they are not helpful in this situation. I have however found a solution to my problem; The maximum number of backup sets per backup to disk file was set to 1, so I have changed it to 100 and finally it backed up to one file last night for the first time! Hooray!! :o)