cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk, duplicate to tape

Barry_Pain
Level 3
I realise this is partially covered by policies but for us they don't work well. I have approx 20 backup jobs that I want to run at different times during the backup window. These jobs run to a Backup to disk folder so create B2Dxxxxx.bkf files. Due to physical space issues I set the jobs to overwrite each piece of media every night. What I'd like to do is simply call a "duplicate backup sets" jobs at the end of the last job to write this to a tape device. I'd prefer to call this in one job to run outside the backup window.

The issues I have seem to be these:

Policy jobs will duplicate backup media but only if it's in the same policy, if I add all the selectiopn lists to the policy then all they jobs try to start at the same time which is not what we want.

A duplicate backup sets job will run but only once, as the following day it sees the media as having been overwritten and starts looking for the previous days catalogue.

Anyone got any suggestions or able to point me towrads a technote at all?
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Barry,

Found these technotes on Symantec's site you might want to look at:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/256096.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284575.htm

Hope they help!

RichardK
Level 2
 I have a different use case. I need to do a backup to disk and then duplicate to tape for performance reasons, but I don't have enough disk to hold the entire backup (it's on the order of 10TB and could get bigger). I would like to set up a job to back up roughly one tape's worth (LTO-4, 800 GB) to disk, then duplicate it to tape and repeat until finished, allowing the disk files from the previous cycle to be overwritten once they've been duplicated. How can I accomplish this?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You would have to create multiple jobs, each small enough to fit on your B2D volume

Then you could set up B2D2T using polcies for each segment, and either chain the segments via policy or just schedule them so that they should be done when the next starts

Only problem I can see is that the D2T will be reading from the disk at the same time that the next B2D is running, so that you will be thrashing the disk/array  (unless of course you schedule them far enought apart to complete the D2T before the next B2T starts

RichardK
Level 2
It would be helpful if there was a variant on Duplicate to Tape that would instead Move to Tape. Delete the B2D files as soon as the duplicate to tape has been verified. Perhaps for a future version?

Barry_Pain
Level 3
Craig

Thanks for those they do help somewhat but my problem remains that I do not want the duplicates running until all the backups (to disk) are finished and I do not want all 17 backup jobs attempting to start at the same time. That seems to rule out templates.

As an aside I really don't see the benefits in using templates in an enviroment such as ours where we back up multiple servers to one central "backup" server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You should be able to modify the template to  call an Archive job rather than a Duplicate job for the second step.  After a successful backup, and archive job deletes the source data