cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk retention

Marty_Kangiser
Not applicable
I would like to retain my daily backup to disk files for 2 or 3 days before they are overwritten, just in case I have problems with the disk to tape portion of my backup policy (bad tape, vacation days, etc). I was reading in Document ID: 266377 that you should setup the media set to "allow overwrite" with overwrite protection for zero hours. It was my understanding this is how I would retain these files, am I wrong?
4 REPLIES 4

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Yes - you are wrong!

You have to be careful to read a Veritas support document "as a whole" - not pick out particular parts of it. Here's what I mean:

The one you are referring to, in the very first line, says "four basic steps" - that's exactly what they are - basic steps.

In step 8, the media set is given a name of "allow overwrite" - so the overwrite protection is set to correspond with the name. "0" hours allows for the disk file to be overwritten IMMEDIATELY.

Personally, I would use media set names like "B2D files shares", "B2D Exchange stores", etc.

If you want to keep the disk files for 2 days, then you set the overwrite protection to 2 days.

There is also an error in that document. In step 7b, it says "how many backup jobs per file"
That is NOT correct. It is really "how many backup SETS per file".
For example, if, in my backup selections, I have picked some files from Drive C on ServerX and some files from drive D on ServerX, that is two backup sets. But, when I create a backup job from that selection set, it is one job.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Marty,

Following Technotes will be helpful :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Joe_Church_2
Level 3
Have you found a good solution for this? I too have a similar setup, where I'm using backup to disk folders, would like to keep 3 days of files on the server, and archive daily to tape. I'm having some trouble getting my media sets and options configured properly to allow for this. Everytime I think I have it, I check the files in the backup to disk folder and I only see the most recent date. I'm testing some things tonight including use of the media vault feature. But if you figure this out let me know, I'll do the same.

Thanks
Joe

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.