Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to non-barcode labelled tapes fails when new tapes are inserted

thomas_olsen44-
Level 3
Dear All

I am running Backup Exec 2010.
I have an old HP StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader LTO2. This library does not have any barcode reader.
The library can hold up to 8 tapes.
When I insert tapes in the library, they get SLOT0001 through SLOT0008 as both Bar Code and Media Label assigned to them.

I am trying to back up a NAS server using this library.
The backup job runs fine and fills up all the 8 tapes in the library, but since the NAS server has 3-4TB on it, I need to change tapes to complete the job.

The problem starts when I eject all the tapes and insert 8 new blank tapes.
Since the tapes does not have any barcode, they are all assigned SLOT0001 through SLOT0008 as Bar Code and Media Label, the same as the first 8 tapes I inserted.
Since these IDs are already assigned to a media pool as used and full tapes, the system will not continue to write to these tapes.

Is there anyway I can make this work?

Appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Thomas
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Thomas

Do you have SLOT set in
Tools --> Options --> Media Management --> Prefix? (inside the Backup Exec console)

If you don't then the library you are using is telling Backup Exec that the names that start SLOTxxxx are barcodes even though it does not have a barcode reader - this sounds like a firmware issue on the library itself as once a library tells Backup Exec that the details it is issueing are barcodes there is no way to disable the barcode functionality. As such you probably need to be looking at the firmware and configuration of the library

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Manually label all the tapes to the next tape label as you are alredy aware of it or you can give it any label as per your requirement.

thomas_olsen44-
Level 3
Thanks for the reply.

I have actually tried to run the "Label Media..." job. I typed in TAPE001 as the new label. The job completed successfully, but when I right click on the library and choose "Scan", the old standard name is still on the tape (SLOT0001).

What am I doing wrong?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Bar code rule is implemented if you are using tape from two different manufacturestes ....
Best option would be to not use the barcode rule if your are using tape from same manufacturer....
Go to the properties of the Robotic library and disable the barcode rules

thomas_olsen44-
Level 3
Hi Rahul

Barcode rules have not been enabled on my library.
Since my tapes don't have any barcodes (only white stickers), would this affect anything?

Colin_Weaver

Hi Thomas

Do you have SLOT set in
Tools --> Options --> Media Management --> Prefix? (inside the Backup Exec console)

If you don't then the library you are using is telling Backup Exec that the names that start SLOTxxxx are barcodes even though it does not have a barcode reader - this sounds like a firmware issue on the library itself as once a library tells Backup Exec that the details it is issueing are barcodes there is no way to disable the barcode functionality. As such you probably need to be looking at the firmware and configuration of the library

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Are you looking at the slot(may be the name of the slot is 001)  by any chance?
the lable for the tape is different
when you highlight the slot it will show you which tape it has in it ?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

the Tape placed in a slot ,when you highlight the slot you can see which tape is in the slot .. the name of the slot would remain the same .
When you put your new tape yu just need to run inventory on the tapes but in case if you are running a job which writes to all the 8 tapes and then you insert a new tapes which are never used before the job will not continue ..
As we need to run inventory and quick erase on the tape before it been used

Moe_Howard
Level 4
It sounds to me under Tools | Options | Media Management the following is true
Prefix=SLOT
Next Value=1
Digits=4

It really does not matter what you label the tapes.  I am more concerned about this statement "The problem starts when I eject all the tapes and insert 8 new blank tapes."

Are you manually removing the tapes from the changer or are you using Backup Exec's Import/Export commands?

The former will have a negative affect on BE because it's like pulling the carpet out from under it when you don't tell the application you're swapping tapes.  The latter is the proper method for swapping media because it will update the database and the slot view.

thomas_olsen44-
Level 3
Colin

My Media Management  is as follows:
Media Type: LTO
Prefix: LTO
Next value: 1
Digits: 6

Thanks a lot for the information about the library.

Using HP LTT, I noticed that the library's firmware was 1.40 with 1.50 available and the latest. So I upgraded. Once completed, I was able to run the "Label Media" job successfully and the media was finally renamed accordingly.

One problem solved, one to go.
Since this NAS server backup job will span more than 8 tapes, I have to change tapes during the backup process.
Once the first 8 tapes are full, I can eject the media and insert the next 8 tapes. However, BE will never be aware of the fact that I have changed the tapes.
Trying to run a inventory job or export/import job will will not work as my backup job is still running and I only have one drive in the library.

Moe Howard:
Will I be able to run a Export/Import job with an already active and running backup job?

Best regards,
Thomas

Colin_Weaver

Hmm that is potentially an issue as if you have a library BE kind of expects it to contain enough tapes - when if you have a stand alone drive it is possible to put in a new tape when asked and the job should continue - not 100% sure that we have a way to export / import media in a libary when a backup job already has the library locked out.

Colin_Weaver

As such you will probably have to split your job into two jobs with half the data in one and half in the other.

thomas_olsen44-
Level 3
Colin

Thanks again for your advice.

I ended up splitting up the backup job as you suggested.
It is a bit troublesome as I don't know exactly the amount of data I can back up on the 8 tapes as compression will vary.
The first couple of times I tried this, I selected too much data. Since one job is about 1.6TB, it takes about a day before I realize I selected too much. So after filling up all 8 tapes, BE asked me to insert another tape. The only way or fixing this was to cancel the job, remove some folders from my selection and start over again.

It would help a lot if it was possible to "pause" the backup job and run an export/import job to swap tapes.

Best regards,
Thomas