cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if cartridge label is removed and inserted?

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi,

Cartridges have labels/barcodes. Also the same info is also stored in the first block of cartidge volume.

Now if the label is removed and then cartridge is inserted, it will not detect the cartidge and error will be given by the robotic in the scan. Obviously.

But if I mark the cartridge with a different label then will there be any conflict? because the previous info of the label (say TP0001) is stored in the block of cartidge.

Say the previous label was TP0001 and the same stored in the volume block. Now I marked it as TP0002 as I did not get the label TP0001(say lost).

Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It all depends on whether there is valid, unexpired data on the tape or not.

With unexpired data, the media-id that matches the internal label cannot change, but you can update the barcode field with 'vmchange -barcode <new_barcode> -m <media-id>'.

If all data has expired, you can re-label the tape in the GUI and de-select the 'verify label' option. 
Delete the previous media-id.

smith_jones
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

As per your comment -

"With unexpired data, the media-id that matches the internal label cannot change, but you can update the barcode field with 'vmchange -barcode <new_barcode> -m <media-id>'."

Few queries  -

1. If the data on the tape has not expired, I cannot do anything. Cannot use outer physical new media id label and new barcode label. (With unexpired data, the media-id that matches the internal label cannot change)

2. but you can update the barcode field with 'vmchange -barcode <new_barcode> -m <media-id>'.    When can I do this? If the tape has no valid images and all the data have expired?  

Also 'vmchange -barcode <new_barcode> -m <media-id>'  will change the internal labels  (media id and barcode id stored in the first block). So if I want to use a label as TP0005 (both media id and barcode id) then the same I have to mention in this command.

3. If all data has expired, you can re-label the tape in the GUI and de-select the 'verify label' option.   What if I do not deselect "verify label" option for any existing maedia and proceed like this? Will the previous labels will be removed and new labels will given (like for new ones)?

Marianne
Level 6

Let me rephrase:

With unexpired data, you can update the barcode field (TP0002) with 'vmchange -barcode <new_barcode> -m <media-id>'.
(Covered in many other forum discussions)

This does not change the media-id (TP0001) that is in use (media section and catalog) and will not overwrite the internal label.

You can still use the tape with same media-id (TP0001) to append more backups and restore from it.
The robot will simply mount the correct tape with the new external barcode (TP0002) on it but NBU catalog info will still be associated with media-id and internal label (TP0001).

So, here output of 'vmquery -m TP0001' will display the following:

media ID:             TP0001
media type:            1/2" cartridge tape 
barcode:               TP0002

About re-label of tapes where images have expired:

If you do NOT de-select "verify label"  option during re-label, the operation will fail because the barcode and internal label do not match.
If you de-select the verify option, the internal label will be overwritten to match the barcode.

smith_jones
Level 6

If I have an issue where the tape is outside the library and the label (barcode) is removed/lost, i.e. robot will not identify it and insert it.

So to insert that tape in the library what I will have to do is -

1. just change the barcode/physical label of the tape to anything (say TP0999 or CT011) and also update the barcode using the command vmchange -barcode <TP0999 (new)> -m <TP0001 (original/not changed)> , though the tape is not in the library. Now when the tape is inserted with the new barcode into the mail slot of the library -  1) Robot will scan the bar code, will see TP0999 and matches with  the NBU catalog  2) matched so will allow to insert the tape into the library    3) Now if I want I can also change the media id and bar code  or whatever.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also will I be able to do this -

1. Check in the NBU for the expiry of all the images on the tape.

2. If expired (or manual expired using bpexpdate) and if I want to change its media id (which is internal to the tape), will I be able to do it (since tape is not in the library and the overwrite process must occur onto that first block of the volume also, I think so)?

OR   I can just do this without the tape into the library - i.) expire the tape (data not critical) using bpexpdate.    ii.) run the command - vmchange -barcode <TP0001 (was previous)> -m <TP0009 (new)> and this will store that info in the catalog and when tape with barcode TP0001 (original/not changed) inserted then it will update the changed media id  (TP0009) in the internal area of the tape.

Really Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6
Way too many IF's here. The day you experience this as a real issue you will be able to come back to this post and figure out what to do. I had to when I experienced something like this in real life with nobody to ask... Again - many examples in this forum with real life situations. Just use Forum search or Google. vmchange does not need the tape to be in the robot. Re-label for expired, unassigned tape needs tape in the robot.