cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to tape in sequential tape order

LatHPC
Level 2

Our nightly backup was running filling the tapes sequentially starting with slot 1 and ending with slot 8.  The tape drive broke and was replaced by the exact same type of drive.  .  Prior to replacing the hardware our tapes were backed up sequentially.  This was nice as we label our tapes Monday 1,2,3 and so on.  As we overwrote tapes we always use the same sets of tapes.  SInce the hardware was replaced the backup goes to tapes randomly making the labels incorrect.  How do I set the software to write to the tapes sequentially?  I have read the help included with the software and manuals on line.  I don't see that anywhere unless I am using wrong terminology.

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is quite difficult to get BE to use the tapes in sequence in a tape library.  Any small error in any job will throw the sequence off.  Suppose you have 10 tapes and the error occurred at the 5th tape, the next job will then pick the 6th tape because it it the oldest.  Even if you put all the tapes in the scratch media set, BE will still use the 6th tape because it has the oldest allocate date.

Read my article below for an explanation on why it is better to let BE manage the tapes on your behalf.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think during the failure, some days your backups may be stopped,I guess.

Because of which OPP value may also got changed. That's what may be creating problem for you.

Using all scratch tapes starting from monday's backup may solve your problem.

Regards..

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Did you run the Device Configuration Wizard again after replacing the drives?

However, replacing a tape drive shouldn't make your job run any differently...your tapes are in the correct order right?

LatHPC
Level 2

The tapes are in the right order and they are all scratched and/or overwritable. 

When IBM replaced the hardware, a new device did get created all on it's own which then created a license issue.  Got that part fixed I hope.

I didn't run the tape configuration wizard again.  I've been hesitant to do much as I am new at the company and walked into the situation never having used Backup Exec before.  However, I can try that. 

LatHPC
Level 2

When I reran the device configuration it didn't do anything different.  I'm attaching a screen shot of the devices.  IBM 1 is what the old device was.  IBM 003 is the new one.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is quite difficult to get BE to use the tapes in sequence in a tape library.  Any small error in any job will throw the sequence off.  Suppose you have 10 tapes and the error occurred at the 5th tape, the next job will then pick the 6th tape because it it the oldest.  Even if you put all the tapes in the scratch media set, BE will still use the 6th tape because it has the oldest allocate date.

Read my article below for an explanation on why it is better to let BE manage the tapes on your behalf.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape