cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup up Backup Exec

awreneau
Level 4
I've been searching the forums and I'm reading somewhat conflicting information regarding the files to backup.

I want the DB written to tape on the last job that runs each night, so in effect I could grab last nights tapes 1/18 to restore the db that was created on 1/17.

I'll always be one day behind on the bedb.bak, and I realize this. 

However, I've also seen where folks have backed up bedb.bak, bedb_dat.mdf and bedb_log.ldf.

I run DB Maintenece at 4:00 am every morning but the jobs dont finish until 9:00 am with verify turned on, I'll change the DB maint to run after the last job.

Anyway, ultimatley, what is the proper file to backup using Backup Exec and not a third party app so in the event the Backup Exec Server (there is only one) failed I could restore it elsewhere?

Backup Exec 11d Rev 7170
W2K3 Standard SP1

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
All you need is the bedb.bak file.  If you have a backup of that then when you have to install to a new server you can use beutility to restore the database after you re-install Backup Exec.

awreneau
Level 4
blipsey

Thanks for the verification.  Much appreciated!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
don't forget to backup the \Catalogs and B2D folders  folder also Smiley Wink

Otherwise you'll need to inventory and catalog any tapes/B2D folders before you can do any restores

awreneau
Level 4
Ken,

Thanks, I just edited the selection lists to include \Catalogs.

Much appreciated!

Vinay_S
Level 3
From what I understand (and I might be wrong, I am still quite new to BE!), dont we need the entire "DATA" folder (and the "CATALOGS" folder), and not just the bedb.bak file, to completely restore/re-install Backup Exec!!?

Thanks,
Vinay.

Message Edited by Vinay S on 01-23-2008 10:00 AM

Message Edited by Vinay S on 01-23-2008 10:00 AM

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
You do not need the entire directory to restore Backup Exec to it's previous state.  If you would like to view previous job logs after restoring the database you will just need the xml files located in the data directory.  Otherwise you just need the .bak file.

Vinay_S
Level 3
Great!  Thanks for clarifying this.