cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup vm and place it on another esxi?

IT_WHT
Level 4

Hello,

Is it possible to backup av vm from one ESXI and when the backup completes it automaticly restores the vm to another ESXI?

Regards

Roger

14 REPLIES 14

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Roger,

It is not possible to restore the VM automatically.

Ones the backup job is completed you will need to create a restore job and select the VM from the backups to restore it to another ESX server using the redirect restore option.

Thanks,

-Sush...

IT_WHT
Level 4

Not even trough a POST command in the backup job?

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Roger,

I don't think so that it can be done through command line too. The main reason for it not functioning this way is because when a new backup will be taken the selection list for restore will need to be changed. 

As that can not be done automatically it has to be a manual process.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you're running BE 2012, you should read up on the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74210

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6

Hey CraigV,

Not sure if that is anywhere related to what OP is asking as he has specifically mentioned backing of VM and restoring of VM.

The link that you have mentioned is for PHYSICAL to VIRTUAL conversion.

Thanks,

Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yep, well aware of that. However, it allows you convert to a VM...backup to disk, and then schedule a conversion to a VM. In theory, the OP can backup a VM to disk, and then schedule a conversion of this to a VM on another system...

This can surely be used to get around what the OP wants, and would be interesting to get some higher technical input on this...

Sush---
Level 6

Surely that can be given a try.. but I doubt it would fall in Supported configuration.

Surely a +1 to you CraigV. :)

Thanks,

-Sush...

CanadianMade
Level 3

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I would also like to do this for disaster recovery. Backup a VM and restore to a different ESXi host all in one shot. I don't understand why this isn't an option but it is with a physical machine?

This would greatly reduce the time it would take to bring up a machine on a different host!

Sush---
Level 6

Hello there,
   As you already know by now that this option is not present in the current version what you can do is post an IDEA on the following forum link so that if that option is high in demand then it will be taken up for discussion to include in the next versions of Backup Exec or not.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

Thanks,
-Sush...

teiva-boy
Level 6

It's called Veeam, vRanger, and Avamar.  All do what you want to some degree

CanadianMade
Level 3

Thanks, I voted for one of the suggestions already there.

CanadianMade
Level 3

Thanks but it would be nice to do it all from BackupExec especially since you can do it with a physical machine. I don't want to have to purchase/learn another product for something that should be easy to include in BackupExec

teiva-boy
Level 6

There is nothing "easy," about including a feature such as this into a product.  You think it's easy, but thousands of hours of development time go into making it, testing it, marketing it, and before that can even happen, is there business justification for even building that feature.  Symc wouldd need much more than your request to consider this.

NetBackup is said to get something like this for NetBackup 7.6 later this year.  Don't hold your breath for BackupExec to get this during that same time.  Sometimes features are held for an amount of time to make things exclusive...

Colin_Weaver

Just to clarify, what the OP asked for is V2V (Virual to Virtual). What we currently offer is what we are P2V and B2V

P2V is Physical to Virtual. This means do a regular SSP/SDR enabled, remote agent backup of a computer and have a copy of that backup also written into ESX as part of the regular scheduled job.

B2V is Backup to Virtual. This is a manual/on demand feature to take an existing (SSP/SDR enabled) backup set and convert it to a virtual machine

In theory the OP could use both P2V or B2V against his virtual machine, but he would have to do traditional agent backups of the content of the VMs instead of doing an AVVI backup.

Also at this current time I believe BEMCLI only allows for the scripted recovery of standard file system backups so will not help you with any attempt to schedule the regular recovery of AVVI sets.