cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup without Remote Angent

Schluga_Oliver
Level 3
Hello.

We are using Backup Exec 9.1 and for our Windows based Server we have installed Remote Agents - works fine.
But now we have installed a NAS with a propritary OS - we are unable to install anything on this device. We want to backup data on this NAS using normal file share.
Backup Exec is always reporting a Warning that we are not using the Remote Agent - who can we deactivate the Warning?

Thanks in advance
Oliver
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Can't do it. This has been complained about since NAS boxes became popular

Since BackupExec sees the NAS as a serverOS, it will attempt to connect via the RemoteAgent, once if can't find one it posts this "error"

Schluga_Oliver
Level 3
I don't know how to check this out...bug or feature?

since ntbackup is able to backup network shares is should be possible to use a commercial product like backup exec for the same job...i think, symantec wants to push remote agents??

i my eyes throwing a warnig since backup is ok while not using a remote agent is a bug!

what shall i do?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Well, v9 has not been sold by Veritas for over two years now so it's no use complaining about it to them.

Some one just commplained about this in the v11d forum, and was told that all they could do was suggest posting an "enahancement request" fo rthe ability to bypass this warning for NAS boxes where the Agent cannot be installed.

Schluga_Oliver
Level 3
well, thanks a lot for your help...

in this case i have to buy backup exec 11d...or i have to upgrade a functional backup solution ... without any effect in the moment...only spendig a lot of money!

and perhaps, in the next service pack there is a "work around" deployed by symantec for a feature, which is a bug...

hmm..this could not be the solution!

Christer_Carlss
Level 2
Hello

I do not know what NAS you are currently using and exactly what you are trying to protect but I tend to try the easy way.

If you just mount the NAS as any other disk and backup that disk then there should be no need for any agent and hence no need fro any agent.

Christer