cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 11d removeable disk issue

stuarta99
Level 3

I've just configured to USB removeable drives as B2D folders inside 11d.  Both drives are configured with 4Gb maximum file and 100 files.  First drive works perfect, creates multiple 4Gb files.  However the second drive, as soon as it hits the first 4Gb file, it asks for the other drive.  If I hit cancel it does carry on and create the next file so I've currently configured the alert to automatically say no, but don't think this is ideal.

Does anybody have any advise as to why it keeps asking for the other drive?

Many thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Is BE asking for other drive or media? May not be asking for other drive/device. Have a look at the alert again. May be some alert related to media.. Regards....

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Although not part of your problems, If you ever intend unplugging those USB disks - then you should upgrade to at least Backup Exec 2010 R2. No previous version of Backup Exec supported removing USB disks as it often resulted in drives going offline and remaining offline before this version.

Also note that no version of Backup Exec should use the Type "Removable Backup to Disk" against USB drives - this type of B2D folder was designed for RDX, Iomega or similar drives where the chassis of the device remains connected and a cartridge based disk is ejectable from the chassis

stuarta99
Level 3

ah ok, I am using Removable Backup-to-Disk Folders, so should I change this back? Worked all ok last week and did start working when the customer put the second in, just this alert.

It does alert for new media to be inserted and when I go to the Devices tab, the other drive is highlighted

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So, that is not because of the drive space. 

As you already created automatic response to the alert, no need to worry about that.

Regards....

stuarta99
Level 3

Nope plenty of space, just annoying and that the other drive doesnt do it.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Is both the jobs writing to B2D folders are configured as same or any changes? Thanks....

stuarta99
Level 3

Just one job configured to point to the drives and then pick up which ever one is connected

stuarta99
Level 3

Just noticed the error now. 

"Please insert overwritable media into the Backup-to-Disk device"

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Just one job configured to point to the drives and then pick up which ever one is connected: I think this will be a problem when it comes to media management. Media management option may be set to overwrite recyclable media in the target media set before overwriting scratch media. Your first drive only contains the recyclable media. that's why it is getting highlighted i believe. Regards...

stuarta99
Level 3

ah ok, makes sense.  What would you recommend I set the Media Management too?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited
For B2D jobs those settings are recommended for proper media management. Better you think about creating two different jobs and targeting each at a specific B2D folder. Also consider upgrading to latest version. BE 2010 R3. Regards....

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you upgrade to 2010 R3 then the following applies:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55855

stuarta99
Level 3

Unfortunately upgrading to 2010 isn't an option at the moment.

Just shame that it works fine with Disk 1 and must be something to stop Disk 2 looking for 1