cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 error backing up VMWare

jnett
Level 3

I am trying to backup a powered-off VM from VMWare to BackupExec 2010.  Initially this was setup as a network backup, without direct SAN access, and that method worked.  I am now trying to get the job to write directly from the SAN (FC) to the tape library (FC) to take advantage of the fiber speeds.  I went into the backup job, and forced it to use SAN transport mode, turned off GRT, and the box to enable backing up powered off VM's is checked.  

Now the job fails almost immediately with this error:

V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file
V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file

The account BE runs under is a domain admin, and I see it successfully create the snapshot on the vCenter server.  Searching for help on this brought me to present the VMWare datastore LUN to the backupexec server (physical server), which I have done, and the volume is listed as a basic disk, online with no drive letter.  Due to MPIO, the volume is listed twice however, with the 2nd version being offline.

I'm not sure what else to look for here.  Does BE not like backing up VM's that are powered off?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

BE should backup VM`s those are powered off.

Have you seen http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155831 ?

jnett
Level 3

Yep, I read through that, that's how I found out it needed to have the datastores presented to the BE server.  Did that, still no go.

Thanks.