cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2012 / Update MSSQL 2005 Express to MSSQL 2008 Express?

Michael68
Level 4

Hi.

I have an Windows 2008 R2 64-Bit with Exchange 2010 and BackupExec 2012 running using the MSSQL 2005 Express installed from BE.  Now I like to install Kaspersky Security 8.0 for Microsoft Exchange Server which needs MS SQL Express 2008.

Can I safely update to MS SQL Express 2088 or what has to be done for BackupExec to work with MS Sql Express 2008?

Thanks,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You may upgrade to SQL Express 2008 as its compatible with BE2012 but its recommended to use

a dedicated instance for BE. Before upgrading do make a copy of the DATA folder which is located

in the installation directory of BE.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB

You may upgrade to SQL Express 2008 as its compatible with BE2012 but its recommended to use

a dedicated instance for BE. Before upgrading do make a copy of the DATA folder which is located

in the installation directory of BE.

Sush---
Level 6

I suppose both the version of SQL can be installed on the same server. So let Backup Exec be running on the installed instance SQL 2005 Express and let Kaspersky install its own instance of SQL 2008 Express.

Its recommended that Backup Exec runs on a seperate dedicated instance.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You will need this to move your BEDB

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH34487

Although this document is for older versions of BE, it is still valid.  If the move does not work, then you would need to re-install BE.  In this case, save your Catalog and Data directory under the BE directory first.

As advised earlier, make sure that you do not use an existing production instance for your BEDB.  There will be times when the BEBD needs to be stopped and sharing it with production will disrupt things.