cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec v10 x64 client install problem.

Todd_Richards
Level 2
We have been running backupexec 9.1 and are installing a new x64 Windows server. Since Backupexec v10 is the only version that supports x64 for the remote clients we purchased an upgrade to version 10. I downloaded BE version 10 5520 from the website. We have not received our license keys yet but have upgraded our BE server to version 10 and are running on the Eval license. I see that there is a RANT64ex agent directory but it only has 1 file in it, RAWS64EX.msp. This throws up a message about 'The upgrade patch cannot be installed .. because the program may be missing or for a different version of the product'. So I downloaded the '10.0.5484 Hotfix 20' backup agent and when I run it it does not install on either my 32 bit or 64 bit server. What do I need to do to get this x64 client installed on my new machine?
Thank you,
Todd Richards
9 REPLIES 9

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Refer to the procedure given in the following technote in order to install the 64 bit remote agent for Windows servers:

Title: How to install and uninstall the 64-bit remote agent for Windows servers to remote Windows computers using the command line
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275657

Hope this helps. In case of any issues, do write back to the forum. However if we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Todd_Richards
Level 2
Thank you for the response.
this technote is for the Itanium 64 bit client, not the x64 client. There is a file in the RANT64EX directory but it will not install either. The name is RAWS64EX.msp. It just says that the 'Upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows installer service.. upgrade patch may update a different version of the program...'.
I have tried this file on both the 32 bit and 64 bit Win Server 2003 and it does not like either.
What is the next step.
Thanks,

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems that your using Backup Exec version 10.0 5520 and have tried installing hotfix 20, which is actually meant for rev 5484. The revision 5520 has infact resolved the issue where the install of the install of the x64 Remote Agent from setup.exe failed. You can check this in the release notes at:

Title: Release Notes for VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers revision 5520
http://support.veritas.com/docs/276379

When you try to install from setup.exe and get the error concerning ''Upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows installer service..', do also check as to what errors you receive in the Windows event logs :application and system.
Do update regarding the above. In case we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Todd_Richards
Level 2
Thank you Priya,
That is what I thought also, but there seems to be some problem/confusion with the x64 client on 5520. It is not really included, even though the readme and other documentation indicates that it is. I ended up opening a case with Veritas support and they could not even figure out why the client was not included, but they admitted that it wasn't. After getting the case escalated several times I talked to a Veritas tech that gave me the download information for 5520 hotfix 2 (which is not released yet). 5520 hotfix 2 is the x64 client that was not released with 5520. So hope this helps anyone else out there looking for the x64 client.
Thanks,
Todd Richards

Brian_Coverston
Level 4
Once again, Veritas has hurt me. This previous issue is now a known issue for 6 months. Today, I download Veritas version 10.1 to check out the 64 bit agent because we are looking to deploy new x64 servers. Sure enough, the agent is STILL NOT included. Your Veritas programmer should be tar'd and feathered.

Signed,
Very Disappointed

Brian_Coverston
Level 4
Through this article, I was able to find a link going to the version 10d remote x64 agent. After days of looking, the answer was to follow the link from hotfix 2 to 10d hotfix 1. Why isn't hotfix 1 listed when I go to the menu:
Tools->Veritas Update

The following is a breadcrumb trail for the search engines so future seekers of this knowledge can obtain it without losing their hair.

Symantec Veritas Backup Exec 10d 10.1.5629 for Windows Servers
Remote Agent for AMD x64 (NOT IA64 Itanium)

Hotfix 1 containing the 10d AMD x64 remote agent:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/280701.htm

RAWS64EX.MSP Missing Files RANT64EX RANT64

Brian_Coverston
Level 4
Nevermind. It does not support any plugins, such as SQL. Which was the only thing I needed to backup. That was short lived. x64 has been out how many years now?

Evan_Waite
Level 5
I feel your pain man, I'm stuck here with a nice shinny new Win2k3 x64 box with SQL 2005 x64 and can't backup anything (with not idea if or when I ever will with backupexec)

David_Chadwick
Level 3
Just installed and setup Windows 2003 x64 with SQL 2005 x64 myself. Sitting here in shock after having discovered that Backup Exec will not backup SQL on x64.

What's the point of the x64 client then?

It's not like this sort of thing is easy to research beforehand either. Sure, once you have the problem and you go looking for a solution then you find answers like this forum thread quickly enough. However, the fact that the x64 client is useless is hidden in the depths of knowledge base articles. It should be in big, bold writing on the Backup Exec 10d product page.

I guess I'll have to use SQL to dump to a file and pick it up that way. Sigh.